Login | Register
Items in shopping cart: 0 | View
Csatáry set free after Hungarian court ends home detention
22 Aug 2012 Flash News
The Buda Municipal Court has chosen not to prolong the home detention of László Csatáry, an alleged Nazi war criminal who is believed to be responsible for sending up to 16,000 Jews from Košice to concentration camps during the Second World War, the Hungarian newswire MTI reported.
The authorities in Hungary have yet to confirm the report.
The Hungarian office of the prosecutor said that the only body responsible for lengthening Csatáry’s custody is a court, and that only the court is eligible to comment on such rulings, the TASR newswire wrote on August 21.
Hungarian police arrested Csatáry on July 18, 2012, after Britain’s Sun newspaper published photos of him living in Budapest. He had previously been listed as a fugitive. The same day local courts place him in custody, where he spent the following 30 days.
For more information about this story please see: Hungary arrests war criminal from Košice
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
Most read articles
Euro Calculator (Sk30.1260 = 1 EUR)
What influences your travel plans?
Quote of the Week
“It is a portfolio that is very specific – it could be said that it covers the tram to the space rocket.” Maroš Šefčovič in response to receiving the post overseeing transport and the space agenda in the European Commission.