Login | Register
Items in shopping cart: 0 | View
Kiska wants to get to know Constitutional Court judicial candidates before deciding
23 Jun 2014 Flash News
I WANT to get to know the candidates for the posts of Constitutional Court judges and will therefore attend interviews with them conducted by my advisory committee, said President Andrej Kiska on the public-service TV channel RTVS's debate show on June 22.
"I also want to attend the interviews with the candidates personally so that I can listen to them, so that I can get to know them, so that in addition to the recommendations of the committee I will have the opportunity to speak to them in person," said Kiska, as quoted by the TASR newswire.
The appointment of the new judges has been surrounded by speculation that Kiska might reject all or some of the candidates approved by the MPs of the ruling Smer party. Kiska, who last week created the advisory committee for assessing the candidates, did not rule this out.
“I don't want to anticipate this,” he said on RTVS, as quoted by TASR. “The advisory committee has been appointed, the rules have been given, and the importance of what kind of constitutional judges there should be is obvious to all, so I'll wait for the recommendation.”
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Robert Fico maintains that Kiska does not have the power under the constitution to reject the candidates elected by parliament. He said this on June 21 on the Slovak Radio.
"I don't believe that at this time the president has the right to reject a candidate,” Fico said, as quoted by TASR. “Parliament has elected six candidates as Constitutional Court judges, and, according to the constitution, the president can select three of them. We'll wait for the president's decision.”
Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports.
Most read articles
Euro Calculator (Sk30.1260 = 1 EUR)
What influences your travel plans?
Quote of the Week
“I have been waiting for seven weeks, naively [thinking] … that he would come and say: ‘Yes people, I was fooling you. I am sorry; try to forgive me’.” OĽaNO head Igor Matovič responding to Sieť leader Radoslav Procházka’s claims that the recording on which the two discuss the latter’s presidential campaign funding was heavily edited.