ONE of Trnava’s most dominant architectural features came about 440 years ago when local master brick mason Jacob pledged to the mayor to build a guard tower to help defend against fires and other threats.

Completed on June 28, 1574, the city tower is one of Trnava’s most visited monuments, offering those who ascend it spectacular views of the city. The tower stands at 60 metres tall and has a gilded statue of the Virgin Mary at the top.

Trnavans commemorated their tower’s anniversary on Saturday, June 28, with a host of events, including a guided tour of the tower (with guides decked out in historical costumes) and the rare, still functioning clock mechanism; an exhibition of the history of the tower and the city; and lending historical costumes to visitors to pose for photos.