Login | Register
Items in shopping cart: 0 | View
Procházka to talk with prosecutorsCampaign finance, circumstances around Matovič tapes under investigation
4 Aug 2014 By Michaela Terenzani with press reports Politics & Society
THE CONTROVERSY surrounding the financing of the presidential campaign of Radoslav Procházka has made it to the General Prosecutor’s Office. Procházka insists the voice recording that has been used against him has been altered, but also refuses to allow Igor Matovič to publish the unedited version of it.
The recording appeared on Vimeo.com on July 22 and was forwarded to the Sme daily anonymously. It contains segments of a discussion between presidential candidate Procházka and Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO) leader Matovič, annotated by Matovič. It followed a controversy which arose between the two politicians on June 2, when Matovič accused Procházka of attempting to purchase campaign ads from Matovič’s family-owned company, Regionpress, off the books. Matovič alleged Procházka suggested he should pay 50-90 percent of the total sum for the desired service in cash without a receipt.
The General Prosecutor’s Office has been involved in the dispute since the start, as General Prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár ordered prosecutors to review the case.
“The General Prosecutor’s Office will not specify the actions it is taking,” the office’s spokeswoman Andrea Predajňová said on July 22, as quoted by Sme.
Since then, the prosecution has not become any more specific about its actions in the case. On July 24 Čižnár simply confirmed that the prosecution is acting in the case, but refused to specify whether and when the General Prosecutor’s Office requests the recording.
“Nobody will dictate me when and what actions we should be taking,” Čižnár said, as quoted by the TASR newswire.
There are several controversial elements related to the recording. Igor Matovič might have broken the law by creating the recording of a private talk without the consent of Procházka. It is also not clear who has published the recording. Procházka might have violated the law too, as Matovič suggests his intentions to evade VAT and to not declare campaign costs.
Procházka confirmed in an interview with Sme, published on July 26, that he had been invited to be heard at the General Prosecutor’s Office in August.
Procházka’s immediate reaction to the published voice recording made by Matovič was rather brief as he claimed that the video published on July 22 was heavily edited. In the interview with Sme he first offered a more extended explanation.
Most read articles
Euro Calculator (Sk30.1260 = 1 EUR)
What influences your travel plans?
Quote of the Week
“I have never experienced something like this.” Ondrej Matej, a candidate for the SDKÚ chairman post, after finding all the locks had been changed at the party’s headquarters, where he wanted to hold a press conference.