Statistics Office: Core inflation was 0.2 percent in May, net 0.3 percent

Year-on-year inflation did not change in May 2014 but core inflation amounted to 0.2 percent in May, while net inflation was 0.3 percent, the Slovak Statistics Office (ŠÚ) informed on June 12.

Year-on-year inflation did not change in May 2014 but core inflation amounted to 0.2 percent in May, while net inflation was 0.3 percent, the Slovak Statistics Office (ŠÚ) informed on June 12.

Against previous month, the core inflation in May affected the total inflation by 0.24 percentage points (p.p.), regulated prices and indirect taxes did not have an impact on the total inflation. Food prices influenced core inflation by 0.16 p.p. and net inflation affected core inflation by 0.08 p.p.

In May, compared with April, consumer prices rose by 0.2 percent in total. Prices grew in the commodities: food and non-alcoholic beverages by 1.1 percent, transport by 0.6 percent, clothing and footwear by 0.4 percent, alcoholic beverages and tobacco by 0.2 percent, furnishings, household equipment and routine household maintenance by 0.1 percent. Prices were reduced for postal and telecommunication services by 0.8 percent, miscellaneous goods and services by 0.2 percent. Prices remained at the level of last month in housing, water, electricity, gas and other fuels; health; recreation and culture; education; hotels, cafés and restaurants, the ŠÚ wrote.

In May, compared with May 2013, consumer prices did not change in total.
On average, over the first five months consumer prices fell by 0.1 percent in total compared with the corresponding period in 2013. In May compared with April, index of consumer prices in households of employees increased by 0.2 percent and in households of pensioners by 0.3 percent. In May, the index of consumer prices in households of employees decreased by 0.1 percent year-on-year, and in households of pensioners it increased by 0.1 percent.

On average, over the first five months, compared with the same period in 2013, index of consumer prices in households of employees decreased by 0.1 percent and in households of pensioners did not change.

The macro-economic analyst of the VÚB bank, Andrej Arady, commented the figures of May inflation for the TASR newswire. “The current development of inflation as a whole, but also the structure of inflation, is rather a support for household consumption,” he said.

(Source: ŠÚ, TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Ryanair opens new base in Bratislava

IRISH low-cost airline Ryanair has opened a base at Bratislava’s M. R. Štefánik Airport after nearly 10 years of operating flights to and from Bratislava on March 30. 

CEO Rémi Girardon presents new Peugeot 208 model, March 27.

Best-selling Citroën to be produced exclusively in Trnava

FRENCH CARMAKER PSA Peugeot Citroën has decided to produce in Slovakia a new model that is expected to become the best-selling one in the future. It has promised that the car will achieve dominant position among…

Václav Mika of RTVS travels a lot.

Transparency International checked expenses of state managers

TRANSPARENCY International Slovensko watchdog asked heads of state-owned companies about their expenses on phone calls and trips abroad. Many keep silent – thus violating the law – and out of those which informed,…

Striving against corruption

I AM pleased to see many institutions in Slovakia addressing the serious issue of corruption. According to a 2013 Eurobarometer survey, 90 percent of Slovaks perceived corruption as widespread, compared to an EU…