Slovak guard from Auschwitz found in America

DESPITE appeals of advocacy, claims about senile dementia and bad health condition a US judge has refused to release former guard of the death camp Auschwitz with Slovak origin Johann Breyer, aged 89.

DESPITE appeals of advocacy, claims about senile dementia and bad health condition a US judge has refused to release former guard of the death camp Auschwitz with Slovak origin Johann Breyer, aged 89.

The native of Nova Lesná in Slovakia is accused of at least 158 murders. In spite of the insistence of the man’s lawyer, the former guard has been detained as Germany asked for extradition. The US Department of State will make a final decision, according to the Sme daily.

“I’m an American citizen, just as if I had been born here,” Breyer said, as quoted by Sme.

He admitted 20 years ago that he had previously worked in Auschwitz, but told US authorities that he worked there involuntarily and had nothing to do with the death camp Auschwitz II, called Auschwitz-Birkenau. But a document concerning the state aid for his old and ailing parents during war was sent to the SS unit in Auschwitz II; which disproves his claim.

Breyer’s true background is unknown; he was allegedly born in Czechoslovakia to German father living in Slovakia and a US mother.

Compiled by Spectator staff from press reports.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

ÚPN head Ondrej Krajňák following the verdict of the court in favour of Babiš.

Babiš wins over ÚPN, for good

ANDREJ Babiš did not consciously collaborate with the pre-1989 secret service. That is the final verdict in the case of the current Czech finance minister versus the Nation’s Memory Institute. 

Foreign organisations protest against police brutality

THE SLOVAK government has not paid much attention to the investigation into the June 19, 2013 police raid in Roma settlement Budulovská in Moldava nad Bodvou. Instead, the government is commenting on events before…

Summer holidays for pupils start

MOST pupils at primary and secondary schools received their year-end school reports on June 30. 

Mochovce nuclear power station

Fico cancels meeting in Rome

PRIME Minister Robert Fico originally claimed to visit Italy in June to discuss the sale of the majority share in the Slovenské Elektrárne (SE) electricity producer with its majority owner, company Enel.