Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

NEWS BRIEFS

Slovakia to get €70 million

SLOVAKIA will receive more than €70 million in grants from the European Economic Area, with as much as 95 percent of the assistance coming from Norway. The remaining 5 percent will come from Iceland and Liechtenstein, the SITA news agency wrote.

The financial aid will go towards bridging social and economic gaps in Slovakia, helping the country achieve full integration with the EU market, and improving cooperation between Slovakia and the donor countries.

Norway is not a member of the EU, but along with Iceland and Liechtenstein is a part of the European Economic Area (EEA). By providing financial aid chiefly to new EU members, these three countries secure their membership in the EEA, where they benefit from free trade.

Top stories

Armed forces need new armour, and more

Slovakia's armed forces need to modernise their military technology, but also improve infrastructure and make soldiers' salaries more competitive.

Illustrative stock photo

EC scrutinises state aid for Jaguar Photo

There is a question whether the scrutiny may impact the carmaker’s plans to invest in Slovakia.

The construction site of a brand new plant of Jaguar Land Rover near Nitra.

Police president refuses the proposals of students

He turned down their suggestions for a public debate but invites them to talk about corruption at the Police Corps Presidium.

Police President Tibor Gašpar

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.