Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

HISTORY TALKS...

Štítnik

THE TOWN of Štítnik in the Gemer region is known for its Gothic church with marvellous wall paintings, which make it a perfect place to visit in southeast Slovakia.

Click to enlarge.

THE TOWN of Štítnik in the Gemer region is known for its Gothic church with marvellous wall paintings, which make it a perfect place to visit in southeast Slovakia.

The town was better known in the 17th century, though, as one of the best swordmaking centres in Hungary, where, among others, the highly sought-after Štítnik saber was manufactured. Gabriel Bakoš, an ally of the famous noble rebel Juraj I Rákóci (Rákóczi György), chose to outfit his army with swords from Štítnik.

The fact that the sword manufacturers guild had its own bank in the church just goes to show how respected its craftsmen were.

Local representatives of iron production also profited during the revolutionary years, 1848-1849, when, at the request of the leader of the Hungarian revolutionary guards, they produced 20,000 cannon balls.

This postcard shows Štítnik before the First World War.


Prepared by Branislav Chovan

Top stories

In praise of concrete

It was once notorious for its drab tower blocks and urban crime, but Petržalka now epitomises modern Slovakia.

Petržalka is the epitome of communist-era architecture.

Slow down, fashion

Most people are unaware that buying too many clothes too harms the environment.

In shallow waters, experts are expendable

Mihál says that it is Sulík, the man whom his political opponents mocked for having a calculator for a brain, who “is pulling the party out of liberal waters and towards somewhere completely different”.

Richard Sulík is a man of slang.

Blog: Exploring 20th century military sites in Bratislava

It seems to be the fate of military sites and objects in Bratislava that none of them were ever used for the purposes they were built for - cavernas from WWI, bunkers from WWII, nuclear shelters or the anti-aircraft…

One nuclear shelter with a capacity for several hundred people now serves as a music club with suitable name Subclub (formerly U-club).