Percussive 1849-type Colt revolver made in Innsbruck.
At the Slovak National Museum's Spiš branch in Levoča, military handguns dominate the collection of 18th and 19th century weapons and richly decorated hunting arms prevail among the firearms of Renaissance and Baroque vintage.
Pistols and revolvers make up a smaller part of the collection.
Especially interesting is an 1849 percussion revolver with an engraved six-chamber cylinder. Probably the first Colt revolver produced in Europe, it was manufactured in Innsbruck in 1854 for the army. It is now deposited in a case with complete accessories, including a powder flask and a bullet mould.
The SNM's Spišské múzeum is located at Námestie Majstra Pavla 40 in Levoča. Visit www.snm.sk for more details.
3. Apr 2006 at 0:00