Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

SURVEY

Slovak households far behind in IT use

SLOVAK households are considerably behind EU households in the use of information technology (IT).
According to the European Commission's latest Eurobarometer poll of the prevalence of electronic communications technology in households, only 5 percent of Slovak homes have broadband Internet access, compared to the European average of 23 percent.

SLOVAK households are considerably behind EU households in the use of information technology (IT).

According to the European Commission's latest Eurobarometer poll of the prevalence of electronic communications technology in households, only 5 percent of Slovak homes have broadband Internet access, compared to the European average of 23 percent.

Slovakia is also below the European average in modem connections to the Internet. While 16 percent of households in the EU connect to the Internet via modems, in Slovakia it is just 6 percent, the SITA news agency wrote.

In the category of broadband Internet connections, Slovakia finished second from the bottom within the 25-member EU. Only Greece scored worse, with only 2 percent of Greek households having a broadband Internet connection.

Slovakia's neighbours are all better off: the Czech Republic reported that 10 percent of households had broadband Internet connections, while in Hungary it was 11 percent and in Poland 13 percent.

The leader in the broadband segment was Belgium with 38 percent.

The Eurobarometer poll also discovered that 7 percent of Slovak households have no telephone service, either fixed or mobile, against the EU average of 3 percent. Poland reported the highest ratio of households without telephone connections at 10 percent.


- Martina Jurínová

Top stories

How the national emblem appeared – including so far secret communism designs

Even Slovaks often do not know why the national emblem depicts a white double-cross, and not the Kriváň peak, or the design by artist Vincent Hložník. They also do not know why it makes a difference whether it is…

Offical Slovak national emblem and colours

Bratislava Zoo will have new wolf breeding station

One of most significant investments of the Bratislava Zoo in the year 2017 will be the building of a new wolf breeding station.

Foreigners: Events around Slovakia Photo

Tips for performances and other events in the Slovak regions between February 17 and February 26, including a race on old wooden sleighs, an operetta premiere, a lot of jazz, classical and rock music, and more.

Rce in krňačky sleighing, Turecká 2017

Some food really is better in Austria, study finds

EC says its role is to monitor safety, not quality – but Slovaks want the same as Austrians, says minister.

Illustrative stock photo