Click to enlarge.
It provided a one-room refuge to tourists on their way to Kriváň until the middle of the 1930s.
The first ever tourist buildings in the High Tatras were erected a bit more to the north. Two shelters were built on the orders of the Old Hungarian palatine Joseph of Habsburg, who wanted to climb Kriváň. Those cottages continued to serve pioneering visitors of Kriváň until the 1880s.
This postcard from 1921 shows another interesting feature: remains of the Podkriváňska poľana, a mountaintop meadow that is nowadays completely covered with dense vegetation.
Prepared by Branislav Chovan
23. Oct 2006 at 0:00