Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

HISTORY TALKS...

Starý Smokovec

The Morské Oko (Sea Eye) hotel opened in Starý Smokovec in 1872. A beautiful building with classical "mountain" architecture, it got its name from a legend that the Tatra's lakes were actually made of sea water that had seeped in through underground channels.

Click to enlarge.

The Morské Oko (Sea Eye) hotel opened in Starý Smokovec in 1872. A beautiful building with classical "mountain" architecture, it got its name from a legend that the Tatra's lakes were actually made of sea water that had seeped in through underground channels. All that exists of the hotel these days is the small lake, or "sea eye", that used to lie next to it.

The long rod the woman on the sledge is pulling behind her is worth mentioning. This was a common way of steering and breaking thought to have been invented by a doorman in the Grand Hotel in the Tatras. Only later was it discovered that this had long been a method of sledging in countries like Norway.

This postcard dates back to 1914 and comes from the studio of the son of legendary Tatras' photographer Karol Divald.


By Branislav Chovan

Top stories

In praise of concrete

It was once notorious for its drab tower blocks and urban crime, but Petržalka now epitomises modern Slovakia.

Petržalka is the epitome of communist-era architecture.

Slow down, fashion

Most people are unaware that buying too many clothes too harms the environment.

In shallow waters, experts are expendable

Mihál says that it is Sulík, the man whom his political opponents mocked for having a calculator for a brain, who “is pulling the party out of liberal waters and towards somewhere completely different”.

Richard Sulík is a man of slang.

Blog: Exploring 20th century military sites in Bratislava

It seems to be the fate of military sites and objects in Bratislava that none of them were ever used for the purposes they were built for - cavernas from WWI, bunkers from WWII, nuclear shelters or the anti-aircraft…

One nuclear shelter with a capacity for several hundred people now serves as a music club with suitable name Subclub (formerly U-club).