Click to enlarge.
This prosperity drew the interest of enemies, among them the Turks, so the town built a centralized fortified zone in which it safeguarded the most important assets and influential residents.
In the 15th century, the town castle and administrative buildings were reinforced with additional walls and bastions, some of which can still be seen today.
The St. Virgin Mary Church, built in the 13th century, dominated the centre.
This postcard from 1927, a reproduction of a painting by Václav Malý, shows part of the town castle.
By Branislav Chovan
2. Jul 2007 at 0:00