Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

HISTORY TALKS...

Bratislava - Námestie SNP

BRATISLAVA's largest square was named after the Slovak National Uprising (Slovenské Národné Povstanie - SNP) in 1962.

Click to enlarge.

BRATISLAVA's largest square was named after the Slovak National Uprising (Slovenské Národné Povstanie - SNP) in 1962. Its previous names include Chlebový (Bread) and Zelený (Green) Market, Hydinový (Poultry) Market, Market (Trhové) Square, and Kaiser Wilhelm II Square. After 1945, it became Andrej Hlinka Square and later, Stalinovo (Stalin) Square.

In the 15th century, part of what is now SNP Square became Vavrinecký Cemetery, which was later converted back into a marketplace and placed behind the city walls to block outsiders from entering the town centre.

This postcard shows what SNP Square looked like in 1921, when it was called Square of the Republic (Námestie Republiky).


By Branislav Chovan

Top stories

In praise of concrete

It was once notorious for its drab tower blocks and urban crime, but Petržalka now epitomises modern Slovakia.

Petržalka is the epitome of communist-era architecture.

Slow down, fashion

Most people are unaware that buying too many clothes too harms the environment.

In shallow waters, experts are expendable

Mihál says that it is Sulík, the man whom his political opponents mocked for having a calculator for a brain, who “is pulling the party out of liberal waters and towards somewhere completely different”.

Richard Sulík is a man of slang.

Blog: Exploring 20th century military sites in Bratislava

It seems to be the fate of military sites and objects in Bratislava that none of them were ever used for the purposes they were built for - cavernas from WWI, bunkers from WWII, nuclear shelters or the anti-aircraft…

One nuclear shelter with a capacity for several hundred people now serves as a music club with suitable name Subclub (formerly U-club).