Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Prosecutor drops invasion of privacy charges

The recording of a telephone conversation between Zoltan Zs. of Tekovské Luzany and a police officer cannot be considered a violation of the officer’s privacy, the Nitra Regional Public Prosecutor’s Office said on July 31.

The case started this past January, when Zoltan Zs. recorded a conversation with an officer of the Levice Transport Department concerning the investigation into a traffic accident he had been accused of causing. According to Zoltan Zs., the office spoke to him in a very “arrogant” tone, so he sent a copy of the conversation to the Interior Ministry, asking it to investigate the possibility of charging the officer with abuse of power and obstruction of justice.

Instead, the Interior Ministry denied his complaint and handed the case over to the police, who charged Zoltan Zs. with invasion of privacy.

But on July 31, the Regional Prosecutor's Office dropped all criminal charges.

"No law forbids a citizen from recording a conversation in which he is involved," the office’s spokesperson said.

As precedent, the prosecutor’s office pointed to a ruling by the Constitutional Court that had found public officials can be recorded without knowledge during execution of their powers.

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

She faced Russian tanks in 1968. Today, she protests again Photo

There are no tanks pointing at us today, says Mária Homolková, who joined protests in SNP Square once again in March 2018 to secure a better life for her grandchildren.

August 21st, 1968: The Warsaw Pact troops, led by the Soviet army, invaded Czechoslovakia .

Kiska appoints Pellegrini cabinet

The president approved the new government, despite some reservations. The new PM promises to investigate the murder of the journalist and his fiancée.

Peter Pellegrini's government

Organisers cancelled the Bratislava protest

But they are ready to monitor the steps of the new government closely and return to streets when necessary.

Andrej Kiska met with the representatives of the For a Decent Slovakia initiative.

There is still work to be done

2018 is not a re-run of 1989, but there is a connection.

Bratislava, March 16