Construction and Regional Development Minister Marián Janušek said he will not, under any circumstances, withdraw the draft bill on measures pertaining to the preparation of strategic construction projects from the next Cabinet meeting.
His statement was in response to protests by four non-governmental organisations that have requested he withdraw the draft from the Cabinet's agenda and send it for regular interdepartmental review.
Most controversial seems to be the draft’s new rules about the expropriation of private land that the ministry says are necessary to speed up construction of highways and other strategic infrastructure.
According to President Ivan Gašparovič, who met with the minister earlier on August 21, the public’s rights should always take precedence [over private interests] regarding strategic construction projects, but he stressed that the interests of citizens and landowners must always be observed. SITA
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
22. Aug 2007 at 7:00