Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Letter from the Publisher

Dear Readers,

March 1 was a date for uncorking the champagne in our offices, and not only because it marked The Slovak Spectator's 5th anniversary of publishing. On that day, the founding owners of the paper's publishing house, The Rock, signed a contract transferring 51% ownership in the company to the Slovak publishing house VMV. The four American entrepreneurs who founded The Rock in 1995 retain the remaining 49%.
We are excited to have VMV as a partner. As one of Slovakia's five largest publishing houses, VMV publishes the daily Sme, the daily Roľnícke noviny, seven regional dailies, and the weekly paper Domino Fórum.
This partnership will preserve The Slovak Spectator's editorial independence and, in time, bring added benefits to our readers and advertisers. Everything we do is with you, the reader, in mind, and we remain interested in your thoughts on how The Slovak Spectator can serve you best. So keep the letters coming.


Rick Zedník
Publisher

Top stories

Famous books on totalitarianism popular in Slovakia too

Internet bookstores have recorded an increased interest in books exploring totalitarian regimes, including demanding theoretical works.

George Orwell in Slovak bookstores

It takes nuts to help Kenyans

Slovakia has provided more than €10 million to the Kenyan people since 2005.

Muruku slum in Naorobi

Lack of experts challenges ICT sector

To maintain the competitiveness, the Slovak government must support digitising the economy and take a positive stance towards the ICT sector, according to experts.

Illustrative stock photo

Our exit from the EU will not weaken our links

The UK has no intention of undermining the stability of the EU, nor do we want to become more distant to our European neighbours, including those here in Slovakia, the ambassador writes.

Flags displayed on a tourist stall, backdropped by the Houses of Parliament and Elizabeth Tower containing the bell know as Big Ben, in London.