CORPORATE BRIEFS

EuroTel launches GSM 1800 MHz operations

As of November 1, mobile operator EuroTel Bratislava launched commercial operation of the new GSM 1800 Mhz band. "The company met the license terms four months ahead of schedule, since the deadline for starting commercial operation of the GSM 1800 MHz is February 29, 2000," said EuroTel Director Jozef Barta.

At the same time, EuroTel launched a new digital technology called Enhanced Full Rate (EFR), meaning that EuroTel GSM customers will hear a higher quality transmission and significantly lower background noise. EFR technology processes digital transmission and the GSM signal more precisely than the current Full Rate (FR) system.

EuroTel Bratislava (in which the state-owned Slovenské Telekomunikácie holds a 60% stake while U.S. West Media Group Inc. and Bell Atlantic Corp. share the remaining 40%) started its operations on the GSM network in February, 1997. It is one of two mobile operators on the Slovak market - the competition, Globtel GSM (owned by France Telecom Mobiles International, Slovenské Elektrárne, gas utility SPP and three regional power distributing companies), launched operations in January 1997.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

Senate voted STU rector down. They also cite fake news website

The session of the Academic Senate proposed that Rector Fikar be dismissed. Police called to the university as well.

Miroslav Fikar

Dozens of people die of COVID every day. A drop not expected for at least two weeks

People who would otherwise survive may die of other serious diagnoses due to the epidemic.

Illustrative stock photo

Slovakia orders a curfew and embarks on its COVID experiment

High turnout in testing in four northern districts, decision awaited on extending the project to the nation. Prison for a prominent prosecutor and parliament's speaker injured.

Waiting for the results of COVID tests during the pilot phase of the nationwide testing in the town of Nižná in Orava, northern Slovakia.

Volunteering in developing countries is an adventure from beginning to end

Slovak Jozef Baňás spent 12 months volunteering in Georgia.

Jozef Baňás