Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

CORPORATE BRIEFS

Alcatel SEL netted 147 million crowns last year

Telecom equipment supplier Alcatel SEL, based in the northern Slovak town of Liptovský Hradok, closed last year with a net profit of 146.8 million Slovak crowns ($3.5 million), a decrease of 38% compared with 1997. The company's sales remained almost unchanged at 2.9 billion crowns, while operating costs mounted to 2.54 billion crowns.

Exports comprised about 41% of the total sales volume in 1998, down from 47% the year before. Alcatel's biggest customers are traditionally Slovak Telecom, electricity producer SE, and Globtel GSM.

Alcatel SEL has been supplying the Slovak market with telecom equipment since 1992. Its share assets total 335 million crowns. Alcatel SEL AG Stuttgart controls 90% of the firm and Devín Banka in Bratislava holds the remaining 10%.

Top stories

Armed forces need new armour, and more

Slovakia's armed forces need to modernise their military technology, but also improve infrastructure and make soldiers' salaries more competitive.

Illustrative stock photo

EC scrutinises state aid for Jaguar Photo

There is a question whether the scrutiny may impact the carmaker’s plans to invest in Slovakia.

The construction site of a brand new plant of Jaguar Land Rover near Nitra.

Police president refuses the proposals of students

He turned down their suggestions for a public debate but invites them to talk about corruption at the Police Corps Presidium.

Police President Tibor Gašpar

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.