AROUND SLOVAKIA

Mushroom-eaters poisoned

Trenčín

"The carefree picking and eating of mushrooms is incomprehensible," said Marian Kaščak, head physician of Trenčín hospital, after treating five seriously ill patients who had picked and eaten the deadly Green Cap mushroom.

In separate incidents over the July 24-25 weekend, a woman and her son, a married couple and an elderly woman all fell ill after eating the Green Cap, or Death Cap, mushroom (Amanita phalloides) which grows all around Slovakia. It is easily distinguished from its edible cousin (Agaricus) in that its gills are white rather than pinkish-brown.

"This situation happens every year, and it seems that people just do not learn," said Kaščak. "They pick mushrooms they do not know, and even let their children eat them. Then it takes extraordinary efforts of doctors to save their lives when they are poisoned, especially in the case of the Green Cap."

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Health care staff still lacking, president asks for amends

Slovakia is preparing to launch the nationwide testing on Saturday morning, but the government admitted they still need hundreds of health care staff. Kotleba violates quarantine and hospitals in the north are full.

The Bratislava Self-Governing Region started testing its staff on October 30.

Testing is impossible to carry out as planned, president says

President Zuzana Čaputová asked the government to reconsider measures for people who do not get tested, many will not get a chance.

President Zuzana Čaputová met with the representatives of the armed forces.

The big test is upon us. What are we to do?

For a foreigner living in Slovakia, there is yet another concern.

Health care professionals still lacking ahead of Saturday's testing

Government avoids mobilisation for now, PM offers an extra bonus to health care professionals who can serve the whole weekend.

Dolný Kubín