Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

AROUND SLOVAKIA

Mushroom-eaters poisoned

Trenčín

"The carefree picking and eating of mushrooms is incomprehensible," said Marian Kaščak, head physician of Trenčín hospital, after treating five seriously ill patients who had picked and eaten the deadly Green Cap mushroom.

In separate incidents over the July 24-25 weekend, a woman and her son, a married couple and an elderly woman all fell ill after eating the Green Cap, or Death Cap, mushroom (Amanita phalloides) which grows all around Slovakia. It is easily distinguished from its edible cousin (Agaricus) in that its gills are white rather than pinkish-brown.

"This situation happens every year, and it seems that people just do not learn," said Kaščak. "They pick mushrooms they do not know, and even let their children eat them. Then it takes extraordinary efforts of doctors to save their lives when they are poisoned, especially in the case of the Green Cap."

Top stories

Kysuce highway stalled due to missing money

Money is missing to finish the section of highway between Žilina and Poland, stopping the completion of the D3 highway project.

Road-blocking protest in Povina, Kysuce, demanding completion of highway bypass - February 16.

Slovak film won Generation Kplus section at Berlinale

The film Little Harbour that won the Crystal Bear – beating movies from many other countries - is the work of (mostly) Slovak women.

Director of Little Harbour, Iveta Grófová, with the Cristal Bear

State insulation falls behind expectations, ministry widens support

Only 134 homeowners in the first round and 62 in the second applied for a subsidy via the insulation programme.

Only 134 homeowners in the first round and 62 in the second applied for a subsidy via the state insulation programme. Illustration stock photo

US philosopher with Slovak roots, Michael Novak, dies

The man who advised politicians and even presidents Gerald Ford and James Carter died on February 17, aged 83.

Michael Novak