The Slovak National Gallery presents baroque art exhibition.
* Slovak National Gallery- Slovak Baroque - Baroque and the present- Paradise Lost. Exhibition of Slovak and European baroque art. Esterházy Palace - Nám. Ľ. Štúra 4, Vodné kasárne, Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel.: 07-5443-2081, open daily except Mon 10:00-18:00. Ends March 1999
* Gallery Miró- Ron Wood - graphics. The legendary Rolling Stones guitarist, who is actually a graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in London, presents (though not in person) 42 drawings of pop figures like Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix and Elvis Presley. Drevená Ulica 4-6, Tel.: 310-830, open daily except Mon. 12:00-18:00. Ends January 31.
* Bibiana- International Children's House. Panská 41, open daily except Mon. 10:00-18:00. Admission 7 Sk.
- Christmas time - An exhibition of illustrations for Peter Ustinov's book, "A Picture Book for Christmas," published by UNICEF. Ends January 17.
- What is "time"? - Interactive exhibitions covering questions and answers about the past and the future. Ends February 28.
* Slovak National Gallery- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980). A retrospective look at the work of a famous British fashion, portrait and documentary photographer. Rázusovo Nábrežie 2, Tel.: 54 43 20 81, open daily except Mon. 10.00-18:00. Ends December 31.
* Profil Gallery - Photographs of famous Slovak theatre performances. Prepoštská 4, open daily except Mon. 13:00 - 18:00. Ends January 3
* Stoka (Alternative Theatre ) - Pribinova 1, Tel.: 324-463.
- Star Evening. Poetic comedy featuring angels, carols and puppet theatre. December 22, 20:00.
- Ha-Divadlo (Czech Republic). The Way Here and the Way Back: Ján Sedal. Ha-Theatre has been among the best Czech ensembles for many years. This story is about a boy leaving home and making his way in the big strange world. January 6, 20:00.
* Malá Scéna SND- Woody Allen: Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy. Woody Allen in Slovak. Just imagine. Dostojevského rad 7, tickets available at SND Ticket Office, Gorkého 4, Tel.: 54 43 38 90. December 27, 19:00.
* The Slovak Philharmonic- New Year's Concert. The music of Gejza Dusík and Johann Strauss, conducted by Ondrej Lenárd. Tickets available at Reduta, Palackého 2, daily except Wed., 13:00-19:00 (Wed. 8:00-14:00). Reservations: 54 43 33 51. December 10 and 11, starts at 19:00.
* Dracula- the last show in Bratislava this year is on December 27! The most successful Czech musical in history, Dracula hit the stage in Bratislava on September 11. Book tickets well in advance, as shows sell fast. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is staged in Veľká Sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské Mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. December 24 and 25 - no show. Ends December 27.
ŠTEDRÝ DEŇ DECEMBER 24, MIDNIGHT MASSES
* Evangelic churches- Malý Kostol (Panenská street)
* Catholic churches- Dóm Sv. Martina (Rudnayovo Námestie), Kostol Najsvätejšieho spasiteľa-Jezuiti (Františkánske Námestie), Kaplnka Sv. Ladislava (Primaciálny Palace,16:00), Kostol zvestovania-františkáni (Františkánske Námestie).
* Mayer Café- The smartest and snobbiest café in the city offers delicious desserts and all kinds of coffee from 10:00 - 16:00. Hlavné Námestie 4, Tel.: 54 41 17 41.
* U Anjelov- This trendy café, open from 21:00, is packed with trendy people, foreigners and same-sex lovers, and is just the place for a cup of Pickwick tea on your way to midnight church mass. Laurinská 19, Tel.: 54 43 27 24.
* Stoka Theatre- Robbery. The Slovak premiere production. Pribinova 1, Tel.: 324-463. Tickets are avalable daily from 10:00-16:00, or one hour before the performance at the door. Starts at 20:00.
* Slovak National Theatre- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Cosi fan tutte. Hviezdoslavovo Námestie 1. Tickets are available at SND Ticket Office, Gorkého 4, Tel.: 54 43 38 90. Starts at 17:00.
* Nová Scéna- King David. Kollárovo Námestie 20, tickets available from Mon-Fri 12:30-19.00, Tel.: 321-139. Starts at 17:00.
NEW YEAR'S EVE IN THE CITY - DECEMBER 31, PARTIES
* The biggest New Year's Eve("Silvester," in Slovak) parties in Bratislava are traditonally organised on Námestie SNP and Hlavné Námestie with live music concerts and warm speeches. Bring along a few bottles of Hubert sparkling wine, and plan on sharing it with fellow revelers. Make sure you don't go overboard, either - January 1 is Constitution Day in the Slovak Republic, although many Slovaks may find their constitutions not up to another bout of drinking.
* Hotel Danube- "The Sunniest New Years's Eve '98 in Bratislava" is the name of the bash that is scheduled for Hotel Danube on December 31. The Café Viennois will feature an exotic buffet for 1,800 Sk, while the Presbourg Restaurant is offering meals for 2,600 Sk. Tickets include music and dancing. A children's menu is available, as is baby sitting for 300 Sk. Reservations at Tel.: 59 34 05 35 or 59 34 08 20. Rybné Námestie 1.
* Dubliner- Irish pub. The pub will be open as usual, but will feature special New Year's Eve decorations and surprises. Sedlárska 6, Tel.: 54 41 07 06, open from 9:00. Free admission.
* Music Café Hystéria- This Tex-Mex restaurant is the favourite gathering place of 20 somethings. Its New Year's Eve party costs 999 Sk, including dinner, an aperitif, champagne, desert and a disco. Tickets are available daily from 11:30-12:30 at Hystéria, Odbojárov 9, Tel.: 44 45 44 95. Open from 18:00.
* Harley-Davidson Club- If you are looking to spend an evening with leather-clad bikers on an imitation Hollywood movie set among 40 different brands of whisky, then buy a Silvester '98 ticket for 200 Sk and dance till the morning comes. Tickets include striptease, disco show and fireworks. Rebarborova 1, Tel.: 43 19 10 95. Open from 18:00.
* Tatra Club- The Tatra Hotel has been organising successful oldies' parties throughout the autumn, so their Silvester party should be a hot one. Tickets for 1200 Sk, including dinner, music and a tombola. Starts at 19:00. Reservations at Tel.: 367-152. Hotel Tatra, Nám. 1. Mája 5, Tel.: 321-516 or 54 43 16 54.
* PKO- Silvester '98. Andalucia, a flamenco dance group, and music star Marcela Molnárová are on the list of performers at this bash, but the music programme and dinner menu are rather dull. Tickets at PKO Ticket Office, Hviezdoslavovo Námestie 24, Tel.: 54 43 38 67 daily from 12:00 to 17:00 for 350 Sk, not including dinner, which costs 400 Sk and must be booked in advance. PKO, Nábr. Arm. Gen. L. Svobodu 3, Estrádna Hala , 19:00.
21. Dec 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová