Ron Wood and Mick Jagger
* Gunagu Theatre- Pressburger Blut. Sci-fi story set in Bratislava in 2007. Klub Čierny Havran, Biela 6. Tickets available at the City Culture Centre daily from 13:00 to 17.00, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 54 43 29 42, or at the door. December 16, starts at 19:30.
Better book soon, as the show is often sold out.
* Stoka (Alternative Theatre ). Evening of stars. Poetic comedy featuring angels, carols and puppet theatre. Pribinova 1, Tel.: 324-463. December 22, 20:00.
* Theatre Studio of VŠMU(Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava) - regular public theatre performances. December 14, 16: William Shakespeare, Midsummers Night's Dream, and December 18: Moliére, Don Juan. Shows start at 19:00. VŠMU, Ventúrska 3. Tickets are available at the door and cost 20 Sk.
* Evening of modern dance- Bralen Dance Theatre. Bralen performs its traditional signature programme at the Slovak National Theatre. Hviezdoslavovo Námestie 1. Tickets are available at the ticket office, Komenského , Tel.: 54 43 37 64, Mon-Fri 8:00-18:00. December 20, 19:00.
* The Story of Dežo Ursíny- The 2nd memorial evening for the legendary Slovak jazz singer and film maker. On the programme are two of his films along with a jazz concert by guitarist Andrej Šeban and group. Klub za Zrkadlom, Rovniankova 3, Tel.: 63 81 09 35. December 17, 18:00.
* Richard Muller Live in Concert- This Slovak pop singer, a would-be Tom Waits lookalike, stages a Christmas concert at Nová Scéna, Kollárovo Námestie 20, Tel.: 325-741. Ticket office open Mon-Fri 12:30 to 19:00. December 20,21, 19:00.
* Spiritual Quintet and Hradišťan(Czech Republic) - Legendary Czech group sings Czech spirituals and folk songs. Great atmosphere as the concert is held at Veľký Evanjelický Kostol (Greater Evangelical Church), Panenská Ulica. Tickets are available for 80 and 200 Sk at the City Culture Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 54 43 29 42. Open daily except Mon 13:00-17:00.
* Klarisky Church- The Czech folk scene comes alive with Nezmaři on December 18 and Wabi Daněk on December 19. Klarisky Concert Hall, Farská Street, 19:00. Tickets are available at the City Culture Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 07- 54 43 29 42. Open daily except Mon 13:00-17:00.
* Christmas with Istropolitana band and guests- From baroque to.... Tickets are available at the City Culture Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 54 43 29 42, open daily except Mon 13:00-17:00. Zrkadlová Sieň (Mirror Hall), Primaciálny Palace. December 20, 16:00.
* Christmas Concert- Der Matzener Singkreis (Austrian children's choir). Hlavné Námestie at 16:00 and the Austrian Embassy's Mozart Hall at 18:00, Ventúrska 10. December 14.
* Art Café- New entertainment series hosted by Peter Lipa, the popular Slovak jazz singer and organiser of Bratislava Jazz Days. Featuring the music of blues singer B.B. King and dance performance by Bralen Dance Theatre. Zrkadlový Háj House of Culture, Rovniankova 3, Tel.: 63 83 67 76. December 16, 19:00.
* Traditional & Revival Band . Christmas concert by a swing band led by Nina Michele from Canada. Teátro, Istropolis, Trnavské Mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. December 16, 19:00.
* London by Night. British and world pop hits of the 80's . Black & Rose Café, Michalská 7, Tel.: 54 41 41 94. December 19, 20:00.
* Rock Fest '98- Fest organised by Rock Agency, Slovak radio and Rock FM radio. The show starts at 20:00 with Top Ten Slovak Singers, then following by live concerts of Hex and Vidiek at 22:00 and "Big Party" Disco Show starting at 23:00. PKO, Nábr. gen. Svobodu. Tickets are available at PKO Ticket Office , Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, Tel.: 07-5443-3867. December 18.
HOUSE & TECHNO
* Boomerang- The biggest house and techno party in Slovakia offers DJ's Lester Jones, Dalo&Tibor/Toky and Aqua. The show takes place at ex-Dimitrovec, Nobelova 32/B on December 18 from 21:00 to 06:00 the next morning. Tickets are available at Dr. Horák, Medená 4, for 150 Sk, and at the door for 200 Sk. For more information call a hotline at 399-773 or contact www.stormpromo.sk
* The Christmas Concert- Sherrill Milnes (USA), Maria Zouves (Greece) and Peter Dvorský (Slovakia). Three opera stars perform at Incheba Congress Hall. Tickets are available from 150 to 500 Sk at: Travel Service, Lermontovova 9, Tel.: 54 41 86 77; Satur, Jesenského, Tel.: 54 41 01 33; or Istropolis, Trnavské Mýto, Tel.: 55 57 49 39.
* The Slovak Philharmonic- Tickets are available at Reduta, Palackého 2, daily except Wed, 13:00-19:00 (Wed 8:00-14:00). Reservations: 54 43 33 51. The following events are scheduled from December 14 to 21.
- Philharmonic Octet and New Slovak Quartet play Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven and Bohuslav Martinu at Moyzes Hall, 19:00, December 15.
- Moyzes Quartet, with guest Jiří Stivín (Czech Republic). December 16, 19:00.
- Christmas Concert of The Slovak Philharmonic and Lúčnica Choir: Slovak carols and Christmas songs. December 17,18, 19:00.
- The Sky is Open - Christmas songs performed by famous Slovak actors such as Božidara Turzunovová or Ladislav Chudík, with support from the Bratislava Children's Choir, Slovak Radio Orchestra of Folk Music and many others. December 21, 16:00.
* Music at Bratislava Castle- Bratislava Boy's Choir and organist Anna Predmerská-Dzúriková perform masterpieces from various composers. December 20, 17:00.
* Christmas Concert- "Under the tree of charity," by Bratislava Academic Choir on Hlavné Námestie. December 19, 20 at 16:00.
* Dracula, the most successful Czech musical in history, hit the stage in Bratislava on September 11, and celebrated its 100th performance and 100,000th visitor on November 29. Book tickets well in advance, as shows sell fast. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is staged in Veľká Sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské Mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. Ends December 31.
14. Dec 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová