* The elegance of the First Czechoslovak Republic, 1918-1939. Fashion photographs by famous photographer František Drtikol, as well as nostalgia, dresses and magazines can be seen at City Museum, Stará Radnica. The exhibition is staged in cooperation with the Art and Industry Museum in Prague. Stará Radnica, Primaciálne Námestie 3, Tel.: 54 43 14 73. Ends January 3.
* Slovak National Gallery- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980). A retrospective look at the work of a famous British fashion, portrait and documentary photographer. Rázusovo Nábrežie 2, Tel.: 54 43 20 81, open daily except Mon 10.00-18:00. Ends December 31.
* Gallery Michalský Dvor- Albín Brunovský (1935-1997). This famous Slovak painter, graphic artist, illustrator and designer of stamps, banks and posters won international acclaim as the king of fantasy and imagination. The exhibition presents his "ex-libris" masterpieces. Michalská 3, Tel.: 65 42 69 26, open daily except Mon 13:00-18:00. Starts December 10.
* The Czech Centre- Maňo Štrauch (Czech Republic): "A different side of society." A photographic exhibition showing life in orphanage houses, organised in cooperation with The Society of Friends of Orphanage Houses. Štrauch (born 1975) lived in the US from 1994 to 1996, where his work focused on advertising and portrait photography. Námestie SNP 12, Tel.: 38 14 201. Ends December 31.
* Gunagu Theatre- Pressburger Blut. Sci-fi story set in Bratislava in 2007. Klub Čierny Havran, Biela 6. Tickets available at the City Culture Centre daily from 13:00 to 17.00, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 54 43 29 42, or at the door. December 9,14,16, starts at 19:30.Better book soon, as the show is often sold out.
* Aréna Theatre- International Institute of Movement Dance - Grand Pierrot. Viedenská Cesta 10, Tel.: 54 43 38 67. Tickets are available at PKO Ticket Office, Hviezdoslavovo Námestie 24, Tel.: 62 24 68 75 or Aréna Theatre, Tue-Sat, 15:00-19:00. December 10, performances at 19:00.
* Stoka (Alternative Theatre ) - Chris Newman (Germany) in Vapori del Cuore. The concert is staged in cooperation with a festival named "Evenings of New Music '98," presenting songs by experimental-improvisational music groups. Pribinova 1, Tel.: 324-463. December 9, 20:00.
* Theatre Studio of VŠMU(Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava) - regular public theatre performances. December 7,9,10, shows start at 19:00. VŠMU, Ventúrska 3. Tickets are available at the door and cost 20 Sk.
* Díp- fashion show. Zuzana Kanisová, a former fashion designer for the well-known Slovak clothing line Zoe, has struck out on her own and created a new line called Díp (pronounced 'deep' in English). The new collection will be shown at PKO on December 8, starting at 20:00. Tickets are available at Ex Libris bookshop, Michalská 12, for 144 Sk.
* Bratislava Dance Theatre- Romeo & Juliet. Admission is 300 Sk (200 Sk for students) and includes a reception with drinks. Ružinov House of Culture, Ružinovská 28, Tel.: 65 42 32 74. December 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Starts at 19:00.
* Slovak National Theatre-Swan Lake by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Hviezdoslavovo Námestie 1, Tel.: 54 43 30 83. December 12, 19:00.
* Györ Ballet- "Troja plays". World-famous ballet from Hungary presents three performances. Music by : Paco de Lucia, Antonio Vivaldi and others. Nová Scéna, Kollárovo Námestie 20, Tel.: 325-741. December 11, 19:00. Tickets available at Nová Scéna ticket office daily from.
* Art Café- New entertainment series hosted by Peter Lipa, the popular Slovak jazz singer and organiser of Bratislava Jazz Days. Featuring the music of blues singer B.B. King and dance performance by Bralen Dance Theatre. Zrkadlový Háj House of Culture, Rovniakova 3, Tel.: 63 83 67 76. December 10, 19:00.
* Jungle Funk and New York Jazz Groove(members of the American music group Living Colour) will be playing jazz at Klub za Zrkadlom, Rovniakova 3, Tel.: 63 81 09 35, December 8, 21:00.
* Tamas Berki sings jazz. The well-known Hungarian jazz singer will be playing with Slovakia's Déja Vu. Istropolis, Teátro, Trnavské Myto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39, December 8, 19:00.
* Black &Rose Café- Michalská 7, Tel.: 54 41 41 94. All shows and events start at 20:00.
- Bailey's week from December 7-13 and Bailey's Party with Irish music and "tombola" on December 11.
- Stigma Party & Saint Lucia, or the "Night of the Witches." Stigma magazine hosts a party where you can dance to gothic, electro or industrial music. December 13.
* Bratislava Hot Serenaders- Concert of American jazz and dance music from the 20's. Admission 60 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské Mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. December 13, 19:00.
* Luboš Andršt Group- Jazz Quartet from the Czech Republic. Aligátor Pub, Laurinská 7, Tel.: 54 41 18 61. December 10, 20:00.
HOUSE & TECHNO
* Boomerang- The biggest house and techno party in Slovakia offers DJ's Lester Jones, Dalo&Tibor/Toky and Aqua. The show takes place at ex-Dimitrovec, Nobelova 32/B on December 18 from 21:00 to 06:00 the next morning. Tickets are available at Dr. Horák, Medená 4, for 150 Sk, and at the door for 200 Sk. For more information call a hotline at 399-773 or contact www.stormpromo.sk
* The Slovak Philharmonic- The Men's Choir of the Slovak Philharmonic sings the music of Maurice Ravel and Igor Stravinsky. Tickets are available at Reduta, Palackého 2, daily except Wed, 13:00-19:00 (Wed 8:00-14:00). Reservations: 54 43 33 51. December 10,11, starts at 19:00.
* Stoka (Alternative Theatre) - Singer Magdaléna Hajóssyová and pianist Marián Lapšanský play music by Bedřich Smetana, Leoš Janáček, Richard Wagner and others. Pribinova 1, Tel.: 324-463. December 13, 20:00.
* Dracula, the most successful Czech musical in history, hit the stage in Bratislava on September 11, and celebrated its 100th performance and 100,000th visitor on November 29. Book tickets well in advance, as shows sell fast. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is staged in Veľká Sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. Ends December 31.
7. Dec 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová