Roman Hergovits: Butterfly. Hergovits (1966) and his photography exhibition "Butterflies" can be seen at Café Kráter, Vysoká 40, until December 6, daily from 10:00 to 02:00. Hergovits, a well-known photographer, world traveler and insect collector, focuses on natural structures seen in buterflies, beetles, trees and leaves.
* On December 5 and 6, between 10:00 and 17:00, parents and their children are invited to Primaciálny Palace in Bratislava's Old Town to bake and decorate "medovníky," a traditional Slovak variety of ginger bread. In Slovakia, December 6 is the day on which Mikuláš (Saint Nick, the Slovak version of Santa Claus) arrives to judge Slovak children, who get candies if they are good and potatoes if they have been naughty. For the young, the Mikuláš holiday is spent decorating medovníky, which are then eaten with tea or used to decorate Christmas trees. For older and less innocent souls, Mikuláš day concludes with the arrival of the sour-looking man himself by horse-drawn carriage on Bratislava's Hlavne Námestie. Revelry and merrymaking with mulled wine follows.
* The Month of Photographyhas wrapped up most of its photography exhibits around Bratislava, but a few locations will be keeping their doors open into December:
* Václav Jirásek (Czech Republic) - Re-interpretation of Old Photographic Techniques. The Czech Centre, Nám. SNP, open daily except weekends, 13:00-17:00, ends December 6.
* Herman Bertiau (Belgium)- Compositions with African Motifs. Pálffy Palace, Panská 19, open daily except Mon, 10:00-17:00, ends December 13.
* Vasil Stanko (Slovakia) - Retrospective view of the Slovak New Wave. Dom zahraničných Slovákov, Štefánikova 25, open daily except Mon, 10:00-18:00, ends December 6.
Tickets are available at exhibition sites. For further information call the Fotofo Agency at tel.: 07-243-976.
* Gunagu Theatre- Big Bastard Beat Band. Musical hits by Slovak, Czech and world rock and pop stars. Singing along is encouraged. Klub Čierny Havran, Biela 6. Tickets are available at the City Culture Centre daily from 13:00 to 17.00, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 07-5443-2942, or at the door. December 2, 19:30.
* Aréna Theatre- Intenational Institute of Movement Dance - Grand Pierot. Viedenská cesta 10, Tel.. 07-5443-3867. Tickets are available at PKO Ticket Office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, Tel.: 07-5443-3867 or Aréna Theatre, Tue-Sat, 15:00-19:00. December 3-5, performances at 19:00.
* Theatre Studio of VŠMU(Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava) - regular public theatre performances. Every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings starting at 19:00. VŠMU, Ventúrska 3. Tickets are available at the door and cost 20 Sk.
* Ivan Král & the Bang Bang Band. Famous Czech singer, guitar player and film score composer puts on a concert. The Czech Centre, Nám. SNP. December 6, 20:00.
* Lucie Bílá and Hana Hegerová- Bílá won the best singer award for 1996-97 in the Czech Republic, while Hegerová is a Piaf-type legend. Pasienky Sport Hall, December 2, 19:00. Tickets cost 500 Sk. Tickets are available at PKO Ticket Office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie, Tel.: 07-5441-5826 every day from 10:00 to 17:00.
* The Slovak Philharmonicis staging the following performances in the first week of December:
- The Slovak Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Bohdan Warchal, plays the music of Eugen Suchoň, Jozeph Haydn and others. December 3,4, 19:00.
- Carl Maria Weber, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Peter Ilyitsch Tchaikovsky masterpieces conducted by Bystrík Režucha. December 6, 19:00.
Tickets are available at Reduta, Palackého 2, daily except Wed, 13:00-19:00, (Wed 8:00-14:00). Reservations: 07-5443-3351.
* Dracula, the most successful Czech musical, hit the stage in Bratislava on September 11, and celebrated its 100th performance and 100 000th visitor on November 29. Book tickets well in advance, as shows sell fast. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is staged in Veľká sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 55 57 49 39. Ends December 31.
CHECK OUT FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7, Tel.: 54 41 86 11 (next to ZOE fashion store). Open Mon-Fri, 10:00-24:00.
* Duna Club- DJ's, rock, dance and rave music, live concerts. Radlinského 11, Tel.: 325-851. Open everyday 17:00-01:00 and weekends 17:00-04:00.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, Tel.: 5254-495, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink. Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-05:00, Sat 16:00-01:00, Sun 13:00-24:00
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42, Tel.: 54 43 32 54. Open 10:00-24:00
* Kráter - Café & Club- Café and Pub with live music concerts. Vysoká 14, Tel.: 317-408. Café open 09:30-03:00 and Pub 18:00-03:00.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, festivals. Pribinová 1, Tel. 324-463. Open Mon-Thur 10:24:00, Fri 10:00-01:00, Sat 10:00-01:00, Sun 11:00-24:00
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk - Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdosla-vovo námestie 17, Tel: 54 43 51 35 (next to Mladosť movie theater). Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-03:00, Sat 14:00-03:00, Sun 14:00-24:00
* U-CLUB- alternative and dance music with live rock concerts on Fridays and Saturdays. Pod hradnou skalou, Tel.: 0905-274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10:00-05:00.
30. Nov 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová