* First International Festival of French-Language Films, Bratislava, November 4-11. The French Institute in cooperation with Association of Slovak film clubs, Delegation of Europena Comission and cultural institutes and embassies presents 22 movies in French language from France, Canada, Tunis, Burkina Faso etc.
The festival takes place at the Tatra Cinema at Nám. 1 mája, and tickets are available at the French Institute or Cinema Tatra before film performances. Tickets cost 35 Sk each, while admission to the entire festival costs 500 Sk. Tickets for the November 6 festival night are 120 Sk each.
For a programme and time schedule, call the French Institute, Sedlárska 7, Tel.: 07-533-46-62 or firstname.lastname@example.org, www.france.sk//fifba
* The Slovak Philharmonic- Performance of the music of Franz Shubert, Eugen Suchoň, Ludvig van Beethoven. November 5 - 6, 19:00. Tickets are available at Reduta, Palackého 2. Open daily except Wed 13:00 - 19:00, Wed 8:00-14:00. Reservations: 07-533-3351.
* Jazz Club- Esoteric Jazz . Black Rose Café, Michalská 7, Tel.: 07-54414-194. November 5, 20:00
* Bratislava Hot Serenaders- American jazz and dance music from the 1920's. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 07-526-4939. November 8, 19:00.
* Axum Gallery- František Guldman - Paintings. A well-known Slovak painter presents his daubings. Robotnícka 5, Tel.: 07-525-1679. Ends November 17.
* Goethe Institute- Wilmar Konig - Journeys. Konig, an architect, presents coloured photographs form West and East Berlin, USA and Austria. Konventná 1, Tel.: 531-52-81. Ends November 4.
* Miró Gallery- Sakura Motivation - Contemporary Japanese art. Eight artists present minimalist sculptures, landscape art, photographs, media and action art. Drevená ulica 4-6, Tel.: 07-310-830, open daily except Mo 10:00-17:00. Admission 10 SK. Ends November 15.
* Slovak National Gallery- Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel.:5332-081, open Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00.
* Contemporary Belgian jewellery . This extraordinary exhibition presents 300 pieces of jewellery made of gold and other precious metals, alongside experiments with paper and plastic. The show was organised in cooperation with the Belgian royal family and VIZO, a Flemish cultural institute. Esteházy Palace, Berlinka café. Ends November 15.
*Anton Jazsush (1882-1965).This Slovak painter, a member of the Košice avant-garde movement, is remembered in a series of his massive paintings, which were influenced by expressionism, literary symbolism and futurism. Ends November 8.
* Bratislava City Museum(Primaciálne námestie 3, Tel.: 5334-742, open Tu-Su 10:00-17:00)
- Bratislava 1848-1918 - Paintings, photographs. Ends December 31.
- Elegance of the first Czechoslovak state. Czech fashion, 1918-1939. Ends November 8.
* Dracula. After the amazing success of the musical Dracula in Prague, the show hits the stage in Bratislava. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is put on in Veľká sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Better book soon, they are going fast. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 526 49 39. Ends December 31.
CHECK OUT FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7, Tel.: 5318-611 (next to ZOE fashion store). Open Mon-Fri, 10:00-24:00.
* Duna Club- DJ's, rock, dance and rave music, live concerts. Radlinského 11, Tel.:3258-51. Open everyday 17:00-01:00 and weekends 17:00-04:00.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, Tel.:5254-495, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink. Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-05:00, Sat 16:00-01:00, Sun 13:00-24:00
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42, Tel.: 5333-254. Open 10:00-24:00
* Kráter - Café & Club- Café and Pub with live music concerts. Vysoká 14, Tel.: 3174-08. Café open 09:30-03:00 and Pub 18:00-03:00.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, festivals. Pribinová 1, Tel. 324 463. Open Mon-Thur 10:24:00, Fri 10:00-01:00, Sat 10:00-01:00, Sun 11:00-24:00
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk - Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdosla-vovo námestie 17, Tel: 5335-135 (next to Mladosť movie theater). Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-03:00, Sat 14:00-03:00, Sun 14:00-24:00
* U-CLUB- alternative and dance music with live rock concerts on Fridays and Saturdays. Pod hradnou skalou, Tel.: 0905-274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10:00-05:00.
2. Nov 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová