* Bratislava Dance Theatre(Bratislavské divadlo tanca) presents two outstanding performances - The Firebird (35 min.) and The Wedding (30 min.) on October 23 and 24. Music by Russian composer Igor Stravinski, choreography by Slovak dancer Ján Ďurovčík. Dom kultúry, Zrkadlový háj, Rovniakova 3, Tel:: 07-836-764. Tickets are also avavailable at PKO Ticket Office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, Tel.: 07-533-3867. October 23-24 at 19:00.
* The Slovak Philharmonic- music for children taken from famous films (e.g. Lion King), ballets and fairytales. Presented as part of the Family Cycle concert series. Conducted by Chihiro Hayashi form Japan. Reduta, Palackého 2. Open daily except Wed 13:00-19:00,Wed 8:00-14:00. Reservations: 07-533-3351. Oct. 24, 19:00.
* Musica Aeterna- Slovak Chamber Orchestra plays ancient music with guest singers from France: Marie-Laure Teissédre, Howard Crook and Hervé Lamy. Jesuit Church (Jezuitsý kostol), Hlavné námestie, October 19, 19:30.
* Jazz- Flamenco group - the Branco Krajčo sextet with special guest Fernando Del Paso, a Spanish vocalist. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 07-526-4939. October 29 and 30, 19:00.
* Stano Herko Jazz Quartet- Black Rose Café, Michalská 7, Tel.. 07-5314-194, October 22, 20:00.
* Miró Gallery- Sakura Motivation - Contemporary Japanese art. Eight artists present minimalist sculptures, landscape art, photographs, media and action art. Drevená ulica 4-6, Tel.: 07-310-830, open daily except Mo 10:00-17:00. Admission 10 SK. Ends November 15.
* Slovak National Gallery- Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel.:5332-081, open Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00.
Contemporary Belgian jewellery. This extraordinary exhibition presents 300 pieces of jewellery made of gold and other precious metals, alongside experiments with paper and plastic. The show was organised in cooperation with the Belgian royal family and VIZO, a Flemish cultural institute. Esteházy Palace, Berlinka café.
Anton Jazsush (1882-1965). This Slovak painter, a member of the Košice avant-garde movement, is remembered in a series of his massive paintings, which were influenced by expressionism, literary symbolism and futurism. Ends November 8.
* Boris Podreca- The Poetry of Contrast. The exhibition is organised in cooperation with the Austrian Cultural Center and presents the work of Podreca, former president of the permanent Architecture Seminar in Vienna. Ends November 1.
* PROFIL Photo Gallery- Anton Fiala - Himalayas. Pictures from the Slovak ascent of Mount Everest in 1988. Prepoštská 4, open Tue-Sun 13:00-17:00. Ends October 31.
* Bratislava City Museum(Primaciálne námestie 3, Tel.: 5334-742, open Tu-Su 10:00-17:00) - Bratislava 1848-1918 - Paintings, photographs. Ends December 31.
Elegance of the first Czechoslovak state. Czech fashion, 1918-1939. Ends November 8.
* Galery Michalský dvor 1- Vladimír Suchánek, Czech Republic - Past Years - Graphics. The gallery is famous for its progressive artists. Michalská 3, Tel.: 6542-6926, open Tue-Sun 13:00-18:00. Ends November 1.
* Dracula. After the amazing success of the musical Dracula in Prague, the show hits the stage in Bratislava. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is put on in Veľká sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 19:00, weekends at 14:30 and 19:00. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Better book soon, they are going fast. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel.: 526 49 39. Ends December 31.
CHECK OUT FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7, Tel.: 5318-611 (next to ZOE fashion store). Open Mon-Fri, 10:00-24:00.
* Duna Club- DJ's, rock, dance and rave music, live concerts. Radlinského 11, Tel.:3258-51. Open everyday 17:00-01:00 and weekends 17:00-04:00.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, Tel.:5254-495, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink. Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-05:00, Sat 16:00-01:00, Sun 13:00-24:00
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42, Tel.: 5333-254. Open 10:00-24:00
* Kráter - Café & Club- Café and Pub with live music concerts. Vysoká 14, Tel.: 3174-08. Café open 09:30-03:00 and Pub 18:00-03:00.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, festivals. Pribinová 1, Tel. 324 463. Open Mon-Thur 10:24:00, Fri 10:00-01:00, Sat 10:00-01:00, Sun 11:00-24:00
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk - Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdosla-vovo námestie 17, Tel: 5335-135 (next to Mladosť movie theater). Open Mon-Thur 11:30-02:00, Fri 11:30-03:00, Sat 14:00-03:00, Sun 14:00-24:00
* U-CLUB- alternative and dance music with live rock concerts on Fridays and Saturdays. Pod hradnou skalou, Tel.: 0905-274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10:00-05:00.
19. Oct 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová