The Profil Gallery is a new centre of photography in Bratislava which is free and open to public. The gallery offers a free photo library, sales of press photos and books. They also organize public consultations, which take place at the Gallery every Wednesday at 5pm, and offer workshops and special lectures by appointment.
Jiří štreit, The Profil Gallery
* The Slovak ExLibris Society, which hosted the European ExLibris Meeting from September 4 to 8, involving 150 artists from 20 countries, presents an exhibition of their work.
Františkánske námestie 11, Tel: 5331-556. Open Tue-Fri 10am-6pm. Ends November 1.
* Slovak National Gallery - Interworld - A large sample of Slovak works of fine art from the 70s to the 90s. Several Slovak artists of the middle generation pursue in their work the problem of the various breaks, cracks and gaps that appear in the organisation of everything that exists in this world.
Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel: 5332-081. Open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm. Ends November 8.
* Photo Gallery- PROFIL - Jindřich Štreit (Czech Republic) - My loveliest photographs.
Prepoštská 4, open Tue-Sun 1-5. Ends October 4.
* UNICEF- Exhibition of Best Winter Season Postcards 98. Múzejka Café in Slovak National Museum, Vajanského nábr.2. For information call UNICEF, Grosslingova 6, Tel: 365 082. Ends September 30.
* The City Cultural Centre- Crafts Market 98 - Concerts, traditional foods and an exhibition of typical Slovak crafts take place at Hlavné and Rydnayovo námestie at 3pm, September 19-20, 26-27. For information call the City Cultural Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 533 2942
* From Horizon to Horizon. Exhibition held in honour of the World Year of Seas and Oceans 1998. Bibiana Children's Center, Panská 41, Tel: 5331-388.Open 10-7. Ends September 30.
* The Museum of Non-European Culturesis devoted to primitive African art from the collections of the Slovak National Museum, as well as from private collections. These monumental heads of kings were made on a superhuman scale from extremely rare ironwood. Open daily Tue-Sun 9-5. Múzeum mimoeurópskych kultúr, Šiškova 18.
* The Slovak National Museumoffers an exhibition of significiant native plant species, providing visitors with an overview of Slovakia's vegetation. The exhibit presents the plants in imitation natural settings, such as a replica of the sandy Záhorie lowlands. Open daily Tue-Sun 9-5, Vajanského nábrežie 3, Tel: 534-9141.
* Michael's Gate- The museum of weapons and fire arms is part of the City Museum. Great view of the city from the top of the tower. Open daily except Tuesday 10-5, Michalská Street.
* Museum of Jewish Culture- Open daily except Sun 11-5. Židovská 17, Tel: 631-8507.
CHECK OUT FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7, Tel: 5318-611 (next to ZOE fashion store). Open Mon-Fri 10am-24pm.
* Duna Club- DJ's, rock, dance and alternative music and live concerts. Radlinského Street 11,Tel: 3258-51. Open every day 5pm-1am, and weekends 5pm-4am.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, Tel: 5254-495, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink.
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42, Tel: 5333-254.
* Kráter Café & Club- pub and café with live music concerts. Vysoká Street 14, Tel: 3174-08. Café open 9.30am-3am and pub 6pm-3am.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, happenings. Pribinová 1, tel. 324 463.
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk - Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdo-slavovo námestie 17, Tel: 5335-135 (next to Mladosť movie theater).
* Umelka Café, Umelecká záhrada- Garden pub and restaurant with jazz Thursdays, Country Fridays and Folk Music weekends. Dostojevského rad 2, Tel: 3658-54. Open daily 9am-11pm.
* U-CLUB- alternative and dance music with live rock concerts on Fridays and Saturdays. Pod hradnou skalou, Tel. 0905/274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10pm-5am.
ROCK, POP, JAZZ
* Traditional & Revival Band- Jazz swing concert. Starts at 7pm, September 16. The Teatro Club at Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel: 526 4939.
* London By Night- Britain in the 80's. September 19, 8pm. Black and Rose Club, Michalská 7, Tel: 5314 194
* Dracula- Musical. After the amazing success of the musical Dracula in Prague, the show hits the stage in Bratislava. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is put on in Veĺká sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 7pm, weekends at 2.30pm and 7pm. Tickets are available from 100 to 580 Sk. Better book soon, they are going fast. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1, Tel: 526 4939. Ends December 31.
* Sunday Chamber concert- V.Kellyová and A.Jánoška play works by Brahms, Benjamin, Berg and Weber at Mirbach Palace. September 20, 10.30. Františkánske námestie 11, Tel.: 533 1556
14. Sep 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová