Defiance in 1968 Bratislava.
Laco Bielik, 1968
* The Slovak ExLibris Society hosts the European ExLibris Meeting, September 4-8, involving 150 artists from 20 countries; an exhibition of their work follows. Ends November 1. Františkánske námestie 11, Tel: 5331-556. Open Tue-Fri 10am-6pm.
* Slovak National Gallery - Bauhaus im Osten - Exhibition prepared by Städtishe Museum in Leverkusen to introduce Slovak Fine Arts, mainly avant-garde works of the 1920s and 1930s, to the German public. Ends September 13
* Interworld (medzisvet)- A large sampling of Slovak fine art works from the 70s to the 90s. Slovak artists of the middle generation pursue in their work the problem of the various breaks, cracks and gaps that appear in the organization of everything that exists in this world. Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel:5332-081. Open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm. Runs from September 10 till November 8.
* Photo Gallery- PROFIL - Jindřich Štreit (Czech Republic) - My loveliest photographs.
Prepoštská 4, open Tue-Sun 1-5. Ends October 4.
* UNICEF- Exhibition of Best Winter Season postcards 98. Múzejka Café in Slovak National Museum, Vajanského nábr. 2. For information call UNICEF, Grösslingova 6, Tel.: 365 082. Ends September 30.
* The City Cultural Centre - Crafts Market 98 - Concerts, traditional food and an exhibition of typical Slovak crafts served up at Hlavné and Rydnayovo námestie at 3pm on September weekends. For information call City Cultural Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel.: 533 2942. September 12-13, 19-20, 26-27.
* Umelecká beseda- fragment D, Danube 1968. The Slovak Art Union has prepared a reopening of a successful exhibition, the Bienale of Modern Art 1968, which was canceled after 21 August 1968, the day that Czechoslovakia was occupied by Warsaw pact armies. The exhibition also highlights a series of 6 documentaries about 1968 events. Dostojevského rad 1. Open daily 1pm-6pm. Ends September 13.
* Primaciálny Palace, City Museum. Collection of European style paintings, 19th century art works from central Europe, a unique collection of Bratislava tapestries, St. Ladislav Chapel. The Bratislava tapestries are part of the original furnishing of the state rooms at the Archbishop's Palace. The series of 6 hanging pictures is the product of the English Royal Weavery of Mortlake near London. Primaciálne námestie. Open daily 10am-6pm
* From Horizon to Horizon. Exhibition held in honour of the World Year of Seas and Oceans 1998. Bibiana Children's Center, Panská 41, Tel.:5331-388. Open 10-7. Ends September 30.
CHECK OUT FOR LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7 (next to ZOE fashion store). Tel.: 5318-611. Open Mon-Fri 10am-24pm.
* Duna Club- DJ's, rock, dance, alternative music and live concerts. Radlinského street 11, Tel.:3258-51. Open everyday 5pm-1am and weekends 5pm-4am.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink. Tel.:5254-495.
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42. Tel.: 5333-254.
* Kráter- Café & Club - Café and Pub with live music concerts. Vysoká street 14. Tel.: 3174-08. Café open 9.30am-3am and Pub 6pm-3am.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, happenings. Pribinová 1. Tel.: 324 463.
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk - Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdoslavovo námestie 17 (next to Mladosť movie theater). Tel.: 5335-135.
* UmelkaCafé, Umelecká záhrada - Garden pub and restaurant with jazz Thursdays, Country Fridays and Folk Music weekends. Dostojevkého rad 2. Tel.:3658-54. Open daily 9am-11pm.
* U-CLUB- alternative and dance music with live rock concerts on Fridays and Saturdays. Pod hradnou skalou. Tel.: 0905/274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10pm-5am.
ROCK, POP, JAZZ
* Traditional & Revival Band- Jazz - swing concert. Starts at 7pm, September 16. Istropolis Theatre, Trnavské mýto 1. Tel.: 526 4939.
* Zuzana Suchánková and P&P Quartet- Blues, gospel and spirituals. 8pm, September 10. Black and Rose Club, Michalská 7, Tel.: 5314 194.
* Gabriela Šusteková and Dušan Húščava- Jazz concert. 8pm, September 9. Hysteria Pub Odbojárov 9, Tel:5254-49.
* Dracula- Musical. After the amazing success of the musical Dracula in Prague, the show hits the stage in Bratislava. Music: Karel Svoboda, Director: Jozef Bednárik. The musical is presented in Veľká sála (Big Hall) from Tue to Fri at 7pm, weekends at 2.30pm and 7pm. Tickets from 100 to 580 Sk, but better book them early, they're selling fast. Istropolis, Trnavské mýto 1. Tel.: 526 49 39. Ends December 31.
7. Sep 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová