* City Gallery (Mirbach Palace)- Francisco Goya: Caprichos - graphics. The exhibition is a part of an exhibition cycle "Vision and fantasy in Fine Arts" and the graphic series comes from the collection of the Szépmuvészeti museum in Budapest. Františkánske námestie 11, Tel: 5331-556. Open Tue-Fri 10am-6pm. Ends September 6.
Picasso's return at Miro Gallery.
* Gallery Medium - Walt Swales - Sculptures. Swales, as an associate professor of Fine Arts and Head of Sculpture at Montclair State University in the US, presents his sculptures about the frailty of the human condition, focusing on the theme of death and its symbol - the cross. Hviezdoslavovo nám. 18, Tel: 5335-334. Open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm and Sat 10am-4pm. Ends September 5.
* Slovak National Gallery - Bauhaus im Osten - This exhibition was prepared by Städtishe Museum in Leverkusen to introduce Slovak Fine Arts, mainly avant-garde works of the 1920s and 1930s, to the German public. Rázusovo nábrežie 2, Tel: 5332-081. Open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm. Ends September 13.
* Gallery Nova- Ondrej Rudavsky - pictures and graphics. The popular place for displaying works of representatives of Slovak and foreign contemporary art in Bratislava and abroad. Galéria Nova, Baštová 2,Tel: 5333-039. Open daily open except Mon 1pm - 6pm. Ends September 7.
* Primaciálny Palace, City Museum. Collection of European paintings, 19th century art works from Middle Europe, a unique collection of Bratislava tapestries, St. Ladislav Chapel. The Bratislava tapestries are part of the original furnishings of the state rooms at the Archbishop's Palace. The series of six hanging pictures are the product of the English Royal Weavery of Mortlake near London. Primaciálne námestie, open daily 10am-6pm
* The Museum of Non-European Cultures is devoted to primitive African art coming from the collections of the Slovak National Museum as well as from private collections. The human body is the dominant inspiration. The series of heads of kings is truly unique. These monumental heads were made from extremely rare iron wood. Múzeum mimoeurópskych kultúr, Žižkova 18, open daily except Mon 9am-5pm.
JAZZ, ROCK AND FOLK
* Pavol Bodnár Band- Jazz Concert in Hysteria Pub. 19 August, 8pm. Odbojárov 9, Tel: 5254-495.
* Silvia Jozifovská and Blues Weiser- Jazz concert in Hysteria Pub. 25 August, 8pm. Odbojárov 9, tel. 525 44 95.
CHECK OUT FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays. Laurinská 7, Tel: 5318-611 (next to ZOE fashion store). Open Mon-Fri 10am-24pm.
* Duna Club- DJs, rock, dance and ambient music and live concerts. Radlinského street 11,Tel: 3258-51. Open weekdays 5pm-1am and weekends 5pm-4am.
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Odbojárov 9, Tel: 5254-495, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink.
* Jungle Café- Jazz Mondays in a newly opened, well decorated Mexican style café. Obchodná 42, Tel: 5333-254.
* Kráter- café and pub with live music concerts. Vysoká 14, Tel: 3174-08. Café open 9.30am-3am and pub 6pm-3am.
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, happenings, Pribinová 1, tel. 324 463.
* 17's Bar- jazz, rock, folk concerts on Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdoslavovo námestie 17, Tel: 5335-13 5 (next to Mladosť movie theater).
* Umelka Café, Umelecká záhrada- Garden pub and restaurant with jazz Thursdays, Country Fridays and Folk Music weekends. Dostojevsého rad 2, Tel: 3658-54. Open daily 9am-11pm.
* U-CLUB- heavy industrial dance and techno music with live rock concerts. Pod hradnou skalou, Tel. 0905 - 274 906. Open Fri and Sat 10pm-5am.
SUMMER OF CULTURE '98
15 August: Theatre Drak from Hradec Králové presents their tragedy of a little man who is the object of vengeance by mighty men. This is an international project featuring actors from England and Norway. Directed by Alex Byrne from England. Old Town Hall Courtyard. Admission 90 Sk. Starts at 8.30pm.
August 16, 17, 19, 23, 24, 26: 22nd year of Organ Music Days presents Zuzana Janáčková from Slovakia , Verena Lutz from Switzerland, Monika Melcová from Slovakia, Helmut Peters from Germany, Jozef Bucher from Switzerland, Peter Reiffers from Slovakia. Bratislava Castle Music Hall. Admission 70 Sk. Starts at 7pm.
18 August: Performance of Bojník historical sword-play group in Old Town Hall Courtyard. Admission 50 Sk. Starts at 8.30pm.
19 August: Theatre Piki presents the childrens' theatre performance "When mom is away from home". Old Town Hall Courtyard. Admission 20 Sk. Starts at 5pm.
20 August: Chamber Music Concert - Tomáš Nemec from Slovakia plays piano. Primaciálny Palác Music Hall. Admission 70 Sk. Starts at 7pm.
22 August: Theatre HaDivadlo from the Czech Republic presents a theatre performance by Arnošt Goldfam and his group "The Damned". Soirée with the songs of Jiří Bulis. Old Town Hall Courtyard. Admission 90 Sk. Stars at 8.30pm.
23 August: Funny Fellows music group from Slovakia. Main square. Starts at 7pm.
24 August: Chamber music concerts - Yoram Ish-Hurwitz from Holland plays piano. Klarisky Concert Hall, Farská street. Starts at 7pm.
26 August: Theatre Tatro from Slovakia presents a children's theatre performance at Old Town Hall Courtyard. Starts at 5pm. For further information and bookings call City Culture Centre, Uršulínska 11, Tel: 5332- 942 (Booking), 5313-020 (Information), open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm or City Centre Bratislava - Old City, Zichy Palace, Ventúrska 9, Tel: 533-1677, open Mon-Sun 8am-6pm.