* Slovak National Gallery - Bauhaus im Osten - an exhibition prepared by Städtische Museum in Leverkusen to introduce Slovak fine arts, mainly avant garde works of the 1920s and 1930s, to the German public. Rázusovo nábrežie 2, open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm, tel. 533 2081. Starts July 2, ends September 13.
* Bibiana- UNESCO Workshop - Exhibition of illustrations 1983-1997. Ends July 12.
Historical Toys, Panská 41, open from 10am to 6pm. Ends June 21.
* The French Institute - Thierry Girard - variations on Danube River theme. Photographs. The countryside, the river and the landscape are the main themes. Sedlárska 7, tel. 533-5725, open 9:00-21:00. Ends June 30.
JAZZ, ROCK AND FOLK
* The SEVEN Rock festival won't be featuring stars like Bob Dylan, The Prodigy and Faith No More, because all of these acts have cancelled their gigs!!! However, other stars such as the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Corner Shop, New Model Army, the Stranglers and many others seem to be prepared to honour their contracts. So, come and check it out! The biggest summer music festival ever held in Slovakia, featuring 21 bands, will bounce its sound waves off the Small Carpathians from July 3-5. Concerts start every day at 2pm in Vajnory, just outside Bratislava. Tickets cost 980 Sk, and also can be used as telephone cards at Slovakia's 117 post offices.
* Joe Cocker (USA), June 28, Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink, 8pm. Tickets from 430 to 530 Sk, available at Istropolis, tel. 526 4939, PKO Ticket Office, tel. 5333 867, Pavian Music, Panská 14, Dr. Horák, Medená 19.
* Richard Müller - rock concert, part of Müller's R1 Tour. PKO, Nábr. arm.gen.L.Svobodu 3, tel. 533-3867, June 18, 8pm.
* Dodo Šošoka (drums) and Friends - jazz concert featuring Barbara Montgomery (USA), František Raba (Czech Republic), Peter Cardarelli (USA) and Pavol Bodnár (Slovakia). The Czech Center, Námestie SNP 12, tel. 381-4188, Fax 381-4189, June 21, 7.30pm.
* Jazz Ship - Peter Lipa and Band. June 26, 5pm, Bratislava Harbor, Fajnorovo nábr. 2, tel. 7 363 518. Tickets cost 120 Sk.
* Country Mlyn '98, a country festival, June 26-28, Kamenný Mlyn (a village about 20 kilometers from Bratislava).
* Bratislavská Lýra '98 Song Festival, 26-28 June. A traditional summer contest of pop music featuring international singers and groups.
* The Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, in cooperation with The French Institute, presents the work of Gasparo Spontini (1774-1851). The Slovak Philharmonic, Palackého 2, June 21, 4pm. Tickets are available at the box office at Palackého 2, open Mon-Fri 1-7pm. Reservations tel. 533 33 51.
CHECK OUT THESE SPOTS FOR HOT, LIVE MUSIC!
* Aligator Restaurant - Jazz and Blues Thursdays, Laurinská street (next to ZOE fashion)
* 17's Bar - jazz, rock, folk - Fridays and Thursdays, Hviezdoslavovo námestie (next to Mladosť movie theater)
* Duna Club - rock, house. Radlinského street
* Kráter Club - bad, hard, loud rock. Vysoká street
* Stoka Theatre - rock concerts, happenings. Pribinova 1, tel. 324 463
* Hysteria Pub - Jazz and Blues Wednesdays, behind Ondrej Nepela Ice Rink
* 3rd International Pantomime Festival - "KAUKLIAR '98" Tickets available at the PKO box office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, tel.: 5333-867, open Mon-Fri 10:00-17:00, or Aréna Theater, Petržalka, tel.: 846-875. Admission: 130 Sk
June 18: 'N' as Nothing, France - Escale
June 19: Alternation of space - Mime Studio Theatre, Poland
June 20: La donna mobile - Illi Holiday
* Cibulák '98 - International Theater Festival in Pezinok, accompanied by rock and folk concerts, June 26-28. The festival takes place throughout the small town of Pezinok, situated 20 km from Bratislava, in the Small Carpathians. The program covers theater performances from Slovakia (Gunagu, Stoka), the Czech Republic (Kašpar), Japan and Russia. All performances are accompanied by music concerts starting at 11:30 pm. The festival starts at 4 pm on Friday and takes place at the castle and its surrounding park (Zámok and Zámocký park), the City Cultural Center and in the streets. Tickets cost 100 Sk for 3 days and are available at the City Cultural Center, Holubyho 42, Pezinok.
* Projekt Istropolitana '98 - 12th annual International Theater Festival of Theater Schools, June 25 - July 1. The performances run every day from 6pm to 9pm at Štúdio S - Námestie 1. Mája, West Theater - Kolárska 3 and Reduta students' theater - Palackého 2.
The participating schools are: Academy of Drama and Film (Budapest), University of Rajasthan (Jaipur, India), College of Arts and Sciences (Knoxville, Tennessee, USA), National Academy of Theater and Film Arts (Sofia, Bulgaria), the Central School of Speech and Drumming (London, Great Britain), Lithuanian Academy of Music (Vilnius, Lithuania) DAMU (Prague, Czech Republic), JAMU (Prague, Czech Republic), Tel Aviv University (Israel), VŠMU (Bratislava).
SUMMER CULTURE FESTIVAL "Kultúrne leto"
The 23rd summer culture festival, known as "Kultúrne leto '98", will start in Bratislava on June 21 and will last until September 27.
June 20: Promenade Concerto, concert of J. Strauss works, Hlavné námestie, 8.30pm
June 23: Historical fencing (Martial Arts and Skills), Old Town Hall Courtyard, 8.30pm, tickets cost 50 Sk.
June 24: Pantomime for Children, Old Town Hall Courtyard, 5pm, tickets go for 20 Sk
June 26: Jazz concert, Old Hall Town Courtyard, 5pm, tickets cost 90 Sk
June 27-30: 23rd International Guitar Festival of J.K.Mertz, Klarisky Church Concert Hall, 7pm, tickets cost 70 Sk
For further information, contact Mestské kultúrne stredisko - The City Culture Agency, Uršulínska 11, tel. 533 2942 (box office), 531-3020 (information office).
For more information on cultural events, see the following net addresses:
18. Jun 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová