On May 2, almost 150 shiny, happy people invaded Bratislava's Old Town Square to stage one of the most inane, banal exhibitions of American cultural onanism ever seen in Slovakia. Known as "Up With People," the group performed songs and skits in front of an audience of 500 people, some 100 of whom were friends, parents and otherwise indulgent boosters. This cheering claque lined the stage and held cigarette lighters aloft at all the cheesiest moments, while the several hundred Slovaks in attendance applauded politely and tried to make sense of it all. They had their work cut out for them.
* Gallery Michalský dvor 1 - Jan Saudek - photographs of the famous Czech photographer. The Gallery is known for its progressive artists who are also museum staff, and who display their own ideas on the evolution of art. Michalská 3, open Tue-Sun 1pm-6pm, tel. 726 926 or w.w.w.gallery.sk. Ends June 7
* Slovak National Gallery- Jan Mathé (1922) - sculptures. Rázusovo nábrežie 2, open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm, tel. 533 2081-2. Ends June 14
* City Gallery, Mirbachov Place- ERRÓ (Icelandic)- satirical paintings on political themes. Františkánske námestie 11, Tel. 53331 556. Ends May 31
* The French Institute - Girard Thierry - photographs of the Danube River. Kutscherfeld Palace, Sedlárska 7, Tel. 533 46 62. Open daily except weekends 10-9pm. Ends May 31
* Mirbach Palace- Sculptures from Zimbabwe. Františkánske nám. 11, Tel. 07 533 15 56. Ends June 14
Jazz, rock and folk
* Planet Arcadia Open Air Fest - Rock Festival. Program starts at 2.30pm with Le Payaco, The Last Days of Jesus, O.B.D., Hex (all from Bratislava), Liquid Harmony and The Ecstasy of St. Theresa (from Prague), Supercharger and Future Loop Foundation from the UK and world chart breakers RUN DMC from USA. June 6, 2.30 pm, admission from 230 to 350 SK. Tickets available at Hviezdoslavovo nám. 24, Satur Travel Agency and at TICKETPRO in the Czech Republic.
* Spiritual Quintet- Choir Concert. May 30, 7pm. Evangelical Church - Panenská street. Admission from 50 to 150 Sk.
* Dušan Grúň and the Jazz Quartet of Stano Herko. May 28, 7pm. Čierny Havran Klub, Biela ulica 6
* Elena Letňanová- Classical Music Concert of F. Liszt, R. Wagner, F. Chopin, M. Ravel. May 26, 7pm, Klarisky Gothic Church, Klariská street. Tickets available at City Cultural Center, Uršulínska 11, open Mon-Fri 1-5pm, Tel. 531 21 02.
* Flamenco Dance Performance- Groups from Spain. May 24,25, 7pm, admission 70 Sk. Istropolis, Trnavské nám. 1, Tel. 540 8241
Check out !
* Aligator Restaurant- Jazz and Blues Thursdays, Laurinská street (next to ZOE fashion)
* 17s Bar (live music)- jazz, rock, folk on Thursdays and Fridays. Hviezdoslavovo námestie (next to Cinema Mladosť)
* Duna Club - rock, house. Radlinského street
* Kráter Club- café and pub. Vysoká street
* Stoka Theatre- pub, rock concerts, happenings. Pribinová 1, tel. 324 463
* Hysteria Pub- Jazz and Blues Wednesdays. Mexican cuisine (next to Zimný štadión)
* The Slovak Chamber Orchestra presents the work of Edvard Grieg- Suite for violin orchestra op. 40, Leoš Janáček - Suite for violin orchestra, Jozef Suk - Serenade for violin orchestra Es-Dur op. 6. Conductor: Bohdan Warchal. May 21,22.
* The Slovak Philharmonic Concert. Program: W.A. Mozart, J.Haydn. Conductor: Christian Gansch. May 28, 29.
Concerts take place at Reduta, The Slovak Philharmonic's home base. Tickets available at the ticket office, Palackého 2, open Mon-Fri 1-7pm. Reservations-tel.533 33 51
Museums and galleries
* Bratislava Castle houses historical exhibitions of the Slovak National Museum such as: historical furniture and clocks, silver church sculptures and Slovak crafts. The castle ranks among the most significant of Bratislava's main buildings. Mudroňova street, open daily except Mo 9am-5pm, tel. 5431 626
* The Slovak National Gallery (SNG) consists of the central building of a Baroque residence of the former municipal police force, which was built in 1759 and adapted to serve the needs of the SNG in 1950. Later, the Gallery acquired the 19th century Esterházy Palace. SNG presents all branches of Slovakia's cultural heritage, and the gallery's entire collection fund consists of about 55 000 works of art. It stages both permanent and temporary exhibitions. Permanent exhibitions focus on old European art, 20th century applied arts, Slovak baroque art, icons, Slovak fine art (1900-1970), Slovak modern art and the work of Jozef Jankovič. Rázusovo nábr. 2, open daily Tue-Sun 10am-6pm, tel. 533 2081-2
* The Old Town Hall is a complex of buildings from various periods, including an original Gothic house, situated in the Old Town's main square. Open daily 10-5pm except Mon, Stará Radnica, Primaciálne námestie 1
* Pálffy Palace - City gallery houses short -term and permanent exhibitions: Slovak paintings and sculptures from the 19th and 20th centuries , gothic table paintings and sculptures, Dutch and Flemish paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries, Italian painting from the 16th and 18th centuries. Open daily 10-5pm except Mon, Pálffy Palace, Panská 19, Tel. 533 3627
* BIBIANA- "Welcome to Fable Land - stories from the life of animals". Panská 41, open daily except Mo 10am - 6pm, tel. 5331 388. Ends May 31
* MAGIC, Management and Info Center, British Council, Panská, Tu 9.30-12, 1-5; We 1-6.30; Th 9.30-12, 1-5; Fr 1-5; Sa 9.30-12. tel. 533 17 93