Museums, Exhibitions and Galleries
* The MAK Centre- Crossing the Bridge (woodblock prints by Keisai Eisen of Japan). Eisen's renderings of landscapes using woodblock prints are well known.Works by the famous Wiener Werstatte, the Thonet Brothers and Gustav Klimt are on exhibition.
Imaginative Biedermeier furniture, treasures from the Venetian glass collection, fabulous carpets and rugs from the Far East, graphic art and manuscripts - all periods to the Jugendstil (the Viennese Art Nouveau) are on display.
The backdrop for the Art Deco and Art Nouveau exhibits, for instance, is a combination of plain cardboard, glass walls several metres high and showcases hanging from the ceiling. Besides all this are 20th Century Design and Architecture exhibits incorporating furniture by Morrison, models by Eames and drawings by the famous American architects Frank O. Gehrz and Lebbeus Woods, and the great Viennese group, Coop Himblau.
Stubenring 5, A-1010 Wien, tel. 01-711 360, open daily 10am-6pm, Thurs 10am-9pm, closed Monday. Guided tours in English by appointment, tel. 01-711 36248, adults 90 ATS, family ticket 150 ATS.
* Secession House- 100 years of Secession. Friedrichstrasse 12, tel. 01-587 5307. Open Tue-Sun 10-7pm. Ends June 21
* Ulysses Gallery- Drawings: Larry Rivers, Andy Warhol and Hans Hofmann. Operring 21, tel. 01-587 1226. Open Tue-Fri 10-6pm, Sat 10-1pm. Ends April 30
* An Easter Sunday Night Concert, Bach's "Osteratorium," takes place at St. Stephans Cathedral, April 12 at 11pm. Conductor: Johannes Ebenbauer. Stephansplatz 1. Tickets - see address below
* Sound of Easter music festival, April 4. - 13, is being staged for the 2nd time in 1998. Concerts will be held in various Vienna concert halls and palaces. Tickets: OsterKlang Vienna, A-1080 Vienna, Laudongasse 29, Tel. 0043 1 4000 84 10, Fax 4000 72 17. Telephone bookings with credit cards Tel. 0043 1 4000 84 10, Mo.-Fri 10 to 6pm.
Especially for you
* The Vienna State Opera (Staatsoper Wien) offers guided tours in English which you should book 20 min. before the tour starts. Duration 35 min. Admision 60 ATS. Operring 2, tel. 514 44-2959
9. Apr 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová