* Gallery Michalský dvor 1 - Marcel Haščič's Golden Central Europe - graphics. This gallery is known for its progressive artists who are also museum staff, and who display their own ideas on the evolution of art. Open Tue-Sun 1-6pm, Michalská 3, tel. 726-926 or w.w.w.gallery.sk. Ends April 15.
* Gallery Médium (VŠVÚ) - The work of Ján Želibsky. This gallery has already made its name as an organizer of famous contemporary Slovak and world art exhibitions. Open Mon-Fr 10-5 pm, Sat 10-4 pm, Hviezdoslavovo nám. 18, tel. 533-5334, fax 533-2340.
* Gallery Nova - Miloš Balgavý (glass) and Juraj Gavula's bronze sculptures. The gallery is a popular place for displaying the works of Slovak and foreign contemporary artists in Bratislava and abroad. M. Galbavy ends April 6, J.Gavula ends May. Open Tue-Sun 1 pm - 6 pm, Baštová 2, tel. 533 3039, fax 654 2100.
* Museum of Jewish Culture -Back to life (50 years of Israel). Open daily 11-5 pm except Sat., Židovská 17, tel. 631-8507.
* Goethe Institut - Anton Sládek Photo series. Bratislava's star photographer, winner of the Czech Press Photography Award for 1996, presents a highlights exhibition of his photos - experimental black & white photos. Open daily, Konventná 1, tel. 531-5281. Ends April 17.
* Pálffy Palace - Juraj Bartuzs and Marek Kvetan -Anticommunica-tion 1 (videoinstallation and video performances). Open daily Tue-Sun 10-5 pm, Panská 19, tel. 533-3627. Ends April 12.
* Mirbach Palace - Founding generation of Czech modern painting II. Open daily Tue-Sun 10-5 pm, Františkánske nám. 1, tel. 533-31556. Ends April 12.
* Slovak National Gallery - Koloman Sokol (graphics, paintings). Held in celebration of Koloman Sokol's recent 95th birthday, the exhibition presents around 100 works from private collections. Open daily Tue-Sun 10-6 pm, Rázusovo nábrežie 2, tel. 533-2081. Ends April 5.
* Slovak National Gallery - Oscar Dominiguez in Czechoslovakia. The show presents paintings, drawings as well as sculptures and jewellry. The reinstalled monographic exhibition is hosted by the Art Museum in Olomouc. Open Tue-Sun 10-6 pm, Rázusovo nábrežie 2, tel. 533-2081. March 26-May 6 .
* Café Kráter - Rastislav Mišík (1975) - Slovenské humno (photographs). Café Kráter, Vysoká 42. Ends April 5.
* Benkó Dixieland Band (Jazz orchestra from Budapest) with guest Peter Lipa. March 30, 7 pm. Admission price 130-160 Sk, Istropolis, Trnavské Myto 1, tel. 526-4939.
* Jazz Pavol Juračka. March 31, Kráter Club (café and pub), Vysoká 42.
* Country Ball. Tickets from 130-160 Sk are available at PKO Ticket office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, tel. 533-3867. April 4, 7 pm, PKO, Nábr. L. Svobodu 3
* Amy Lee Barber (USA) - drums. Slovkoncert-National Music Center introduces Amy Lee Barber for a Sunday concert at Mirbach Palace. March 29, 10:30 am, Františkánske nám. 11, tel. 533-31556.
* Ivan Mládek + band. Tickets from 140 to 160 Sk available at PKO Ticket office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, tel. 533-3867. April 20, 7 pm, PKO, Nábrežie L.Svobodu 3.
* LUCIE (Czech rock band). 10 year anniversary exclusive performance. Tickets from 240 to 300 Sk but be warned, they are going fast. Tickets available at Pavian Music, Panská 14, 531-9856; Dr. Horák, Medená 19, tel. 533-5667; PKO Ticket office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, tel. 533-3867. May 13, 7pm, Zimny Štadión O. Nepelu (Winter stadium).
* Bob Dylan visits Bratislava on July 5 at ŠK Vajnory !
* Aligator Restaurant - Jazz and Blues Thursdays, Laurinská street (next to ZOE fashion shop).
* 70's Bar (live music) - jazz, rock, folk -Fridays, Thursdays, Hviezdoslavovo námestie /next to Kino Mladosť.
* Duna Club - rock, house, Radlinského Street.
* Kráter Club - café and pub, Vysoká Street.
* Stoka Theatre - pub, rock concerts, music events, Pribinová 1, tel. 324-463.
* Slovak Philharmonic together with Komorná opera SND (Slovak National Theater) present the works of Jozeph Haydn, Franz Schubert, Bruno Strobl. Conductor: Georga Kugi, soloist-violincello: Friedrich Kleinhapl. Tickets at Slovak Philharmonic, Palackého 2, tel. 533-3351 -3. March 31, 7 pm, Moyzesova sieň, Vajanského nábrežie.
* Slovak Philharmonic presents C. Saint-Saens: Concert for violincello and orchestra No. 1, mol op. 33 and P.I.Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 4, mol op. 36. Tickets at Slovak Philharmonic, Palackého 2, tel. 533-3351 -3. March 26-27, 7 pm, Slovak Philharmonic, Palackého 2.
* Kinjo Glee Club from Nagoya, Japan together with Bratislava Boy's Choir will present a concert on March 27, 7 pm with Yokohama Soei Junior College, Japan on March 29, 5 pm. Slovak Radio Concert Hall, Mytna 1, entrance free, tel. 533-0873 (City Cultural Center).
Museums and Galleries
* Bratislava Castle houses historical exhibitions of the Slovak National Museum such as furniture, clocks, silver church sculptures, crafts in Slovakia. The castle ranks among the most significant of Bratislava's dominant buildings. Open daily except Mon 9-5 pm, Mudroňova street, tel. 543-1626.
* The Old Town Hall is a complex of buildings from various periods situated in the Old Town's main square within an original Gothic house. Open daily 10-5 pm except Mon., Stará radnica, Prinmaciálne námestie 1.
* Primate's Palace - City Museum. A collection of European-style paintings, 19th century art works from Central Europe, a unique collection of Bratislava tapestries, St. Ladislav Chapel. The series of 6 hanging pictures is the product of the English Royal Weavery of Mortake near London. Open daily 10-6 pm, Primaciálne námestie.
* The Slovak National Museum offers a presentation of significant plant species and vegetation, providing visitors with an overview of Slovakia's vegetation. The lay-out of this exhibition strives to imitate the specific atmosphere of a given environment in the country, e.g. imitation of the sandy Záhorie lowlands. Open daily Tue-Sun 9-5 pm, Vajanského nábr. 3 tel. 534-9141.
* Michael's Tower - Museum of weapons and fire arms belongs to the City Museum. Great view of the city from the top of the tower. Open daily except Tuesday 10 - 5 pm, Michalská Street .
* The Museum of Non-European Cultures is devoted to primitive African art from the collections of the Slovak National Museum as well as from private collections. These monumental heads of kings were made on a superhuman scale from the extremely rare iron wood. Open daily Tue-Sun 9-5 pm, Múzeum mimoeurópskych kultúr, Žižkova 18
* J.N.Hummel Museum (music installation). Open daily Tue-Sun 12-5 pm, Klobučnícka 2
* Historical Clocks. Open daily except Tue 10-5 pm, Židovská 1.
* The Slovak National Gallery consists of a central building, the Baroque residence of the former municipal government which was built in 1759 and was adapted to serve the needs of the gallery in 1950. Later, the gallery aquired the 19th century Esterházy Palace. SNG presents Slovakia's cultural heritage within all branches of art, and the entire collection consists of about 55,000 works of art. It brings together permanent and occasional exhibitions. Permanent exhibitions focus on Old European Art, 20th century Applied Arts, Baroque Art in Slovakia, Icons, Slovak Fine Art (1900-1970), Slovak Modern art and the Works of Jozef Jankovič. Open daily except Mon 10-6 pm, Rázusovo nám., tel. 533-2081.
* Mirbach Palace - City Gallery focus on special and permanent exhibitions like: Central European paintings and sculptures from the 17th and 18th centuries; paintings and sculptures from the second half of the 19th century. Open Tue-Sun 10-5pm, Františkánske námestie, tel. 533-31556.
* Pálffy Palace - City Gallery houses short-term and permanent exhibitions like Slovak paintings and sculptures frorm the 19th and 20th centuries, Gothic Table paintings and sculptures, Dutch and Flemish painting from the 17th and 18th centuries, Italian painting from 16th to the 18th century, paintings from other European countries of the 17th and 19th centuries. Open daily 10-5 pm except Mon., Pálffy Palace, Panská 19, tel. 533-3627.
* Davis Cup by NEC, Slovakia vs. Sweden, April 3,4,5 at Incheba, Hall C. Tickets available from 200 - 600 Sk at all branches of Slovakoturist or try Slovakoturist Bratislava, Panská 13, Tel. 07/533-5722, Fax. 07/533-3466.
* Exhibition"Welcome to Fable Land - stories from animals' lives", Bibiana, Panská 41, till May 31, open daily except Mo 10 - 6 pm, tel. 533-1388.
* Comedy"How are rabbits a family ?" in Malá sála, 2:30 pm, admission 15 Sk. March 28, 29, Istropolis, Trnavské Myto 1, tel. 526 4939.
* US information and reference center (magazines, newspapers), Hviezdoslavovo nám., Tel. 07/533-3338, Fax 07/533-0861.
* MAGIC, Management and Info Center, British Council, Panská 17. Tu 9.30-12, 1-5; Wed 1-6:30; Th 9:30-12, 1-5; Fr 1-5; Sa 9:30-12. tel. 533-1793.
B.B.KING + Bluesband coming to Bratislava !
Fans of great music shouldn't miss B.B. KING and band in a great performance . Tickets from 390-700 Sk. Tickets are also available on the day of the concert at the stadium, but go for 800 and 450 Sk: and from Pavian Music, Panská 14, 531-9856; Dr. Horák, Medená19, tel. 533-5667; PKO Ticket office, Hviezdoslavovo námestie 24, tel. 533-3867. April 24, 7:30 pm, PKO, Nábr. L. Svobodu 3.
26. Mar 1998 at 0:00 | Compiled by Soňa Bellušová