Fly over Bratislava
* Start clearing your calendar for adventurous flights! If you are interested in a great experience call Mr. Pristah at AEROCLUB BRATISLAVA, which offers you amazing bird's eye perspectives of Bratislava, Gabčíkovo and the Small Carpathians.
Any kind of trip can be arranged, but don't book anything in advance because flights go ahead only in good weather. Air tours start in April: 30 min. in an L-200 Morava for 4 people costs 3.000,- Sk per person; 30min. in an L-142 for 1 person costs 1920,- Sk. A Cesna 172, bought in the USA, will be available for flights in Slovakia by the end of April. The plane holds 3 people and costs 1500,- Sk per person for a 30 minute flight. Call AEROCLUB BRATISLAVA, Mr. Pristah, tel. 07/541 2510, Fax 07/541 1611.
Shop till you drop
* A new shopping center has opened ! Itşs called the Bottova Center, and is located just opposite AS Nivy (Nivy Bus station). The two-floor building holds 24 shops, including Chicco (children); DOMAX (lights, furniture, carpets); lotto (sport); Mustang (jeans); Liška (jewelry); Škvrna (records); as well as a grocery store (Potraviny), a flower shop, a pharmacy and much, much more.
The only unpleasant thing is that you have to cross a busy street in case you are coming from AS Nivy, which is not very relaxing. The Austrian owner, Kurt Brodesser, reconstructed buildings for the Levis store and the Perlička shopping mall and plans to build a children's playground and a parking lot near the Bottova center in the near future. The Bottova Center, Bottova street, open Mo-Sun from 9am to 6pm.
Say it like a native
* To je zaujímavé ! If you want to learn how to pronounce this phrase properly, and to improve your knowledge of Slovak, you should fill out an application form by May 15 to study Slovak at a Summer Course in Slovak language which is offered by Comenius University from June 6 - 31.
The four - week summer course in Slovak is designed to provide a basic understanding of the language, a certain familiarity with Slovak people, an insight into the culture, traditions and natural beauty of the country.
The school has been teaching Slovak for 38 years and offers a highly qualified staff with long experience in teaching Slovak domestically and abroad. The course is $400 US, not including books, insurance and transportation fees.
Accommodation is $80 US at the school dormitory, while board (includes 3 meals a day) costs $100 US. Courses are held in Bratislava, (Šoltésovej 4) and in Košice, (Bellova 1) and include 25 lessons a week. COMENIUS UNIVERSITY, The Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students, Šoltésovej 4, 811 08 Bratislava, Slovak Republic, Phone : 07/526 77 44, Fax : 07/526 72 40.
The BBC rocks on
* BBC Bratislava, in collaboration with Radio Ragtime and BBC Radio International, have prepared the ultimate weekly mix of talk and music, which will offer exclusive coverage of the biggest names in the business.
Over a one year period the show will bring you 200 star interviews and 500 unique BBC music recordings, or 60 minutes of music (rock and pop) and conversation every week. Starts from April 1998 every Friday at from 7.30pm to 8.30pm and on Saturday from 11 pm to 12 pm.
Wood imitates life
* Don't miss a great exhibition of British woodcuts and engravings called OUT OF THE WOOD (1890-1945) touring the country. The engravings mainly illustrate luxurious landscapes, plants, animals and young women. During the 19th century, wood carving was little more than a tool of the printing industry.
But realist, surrealist, traditionalist and modernist artists brought back this form of expression. This exhibition chronicles of the achievements of that period and covers the works of 40 artists.
The exhibition presents Henry Moore, Paul Nash, Eric Gill and opens in Humenné, City Cultural Center Gallery on April 1; Kežmarok, City Cultural Center Gallery, May 7; Nitra, Ponitrianska Gallery, June 16; Bardejov, City Cultural Gallery, July 20.
* Meanwhile the British Council in Banská Bystrica highlights a photography exhibition by Irishman David Lynch. Ireland, its land, people and sea come to life through his photographs. David Lynch has been featured at Eurovision 94, 95; at many photo agencies as well as in magazines. BC, Dolná 7, Banská Bystrica, Tel. 088/ 724-216; Fax 088/ 724-217, open till March 31.
Folk music feast
* Friends of Slovakia Association will have their "Annual Spring Banquet," which will feature Slovak folk music performed by Alex's Folk Music Group on May 2. Special guests from Martin and Spišké Podhradie will also be there along with some familiar public officials.
The event will take place at the Hotel Danube, Rybné námestie 1, at 6 pm. Tickets are 500 Sk or 450 Sk for FSA members and include food and drink. For more information or to purchase tickets call Linda Wenning, Prešovská 57, Tel. 07/271 837.
26. Mar 1998 at 0:00 | Soňa Bellušová