Bratislava's selection of viable workday lunch options is growing. Below are the cream of the crop. The criteria here? All-around quality, central location, fast service, and reasonable prices - in that order. Please feel free to let us know if you agree.
1. Modrá Guľa- Take the elevator from street level to the penthouse at the ultra-modern Slovenská Sporiteľňa building across from Hotel Forum. There you will find a bright restaurant with a panorama view of the Presidential Palace and the Castle. The outdoor terrace opens up in the summer. Try the pork cutlet on dumplings with cheese sauce or the halušky stuffed in ham and cheese. $$$. CC: yes. Eng. menu: yes. Res: yes. Suché Mýto 6. % 335-546, ext. 4006. < 11:00-24:30, M-Sa.
2. Chang Cheng- Across Štefánikova ulica from the Presidential Palace, Chang Cheng offers authentic Chinese dishes in a setting of landscape paintings. Service is swift and friendly. Recommend is the duck with bamboo shoots, mushrooms in a soy-based sauce. Combination meals give an opportunity to sample every dish. Peking duck must be ordered a day ahead and serves four. Top off your meal with deep fried bananas, apples or pineapples in honey. CC: yes. Eng. menu: yes. Res: yes. Palisády 59.% 322-157 or 322-161 < 11:00 - 23:30 M-Su.
3. Spaghetti & Co. - If you are in the pedestrian-friendly neighborhood of the old town - perhaps visiting one of the eight embassies there - you cannot find a better choice. The menu is extensive, offering dozens of choices, including very good pastas. With any selection, you can count on quality and freshness. The spinach is out of this world. $$$. CC: yes. Eng. menu: yes. Res: yes. Gorkého 1. % 332-303. <
4. Feďo- In the handsome yellow Kooperativa building near the main train station, Feďo is almost as smooth as its surroundings: it is airy and elegant, if a bit lacking in character. Basically, a nice place for a workday lunch. The food is Slovak, but done with a light hand. The meat plate for two is very tasty, as is the trout. The attentive and polite service is the star of the show. $$. CC: no. Eng. menu: yes. Res: yes. Štefanovičova 4. % 394-722. <9:00-22:00 M-F, 10:00-22:00 Sa-Su.
5. Harmonia- Nice, but somewhat chilly atmosphere in Old Town. $$$. CC: yes. Eng. menu: no. Res: no. Ventúrska 9. % 331-683. < 10:00-22:00 M-Su.
10. Apr 1997 at 0:00