Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

CORPORATE NEWS

Figaro nets 28 million Sk for first half 1996

Jacobs Suchard Figaro, a confectionery producer in Bratislava, scored a net income of 28 million Sk, which is 40 Sk per share, in the first half of 1996, company officials announced. At the end of last year, the company reported a loss of 27.2 million Sk (a loss of 39 Sk /share). Figaro, partially privatized in the first wave of voucher privatization, aims to become the leading chocolate manufacturer in Slovakia and the Czech Republic. In 1993, its market share in Slovakia was 34 percent, growing to 39 percent in 1994 and 44 percent last year. This year, it aims to build upon that margin as well as increase its exports to Russia. Out of Figaro's ownership structure, 67 percent is owned by Kraft Jacobs Suchard, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the global food-packaging and cigarette producer Philip Morris, while the remaining 33 percent is held by individual shareholders and investment funds.

Top stories

EU roaming fees to end on June 15 – in theory

Slovak customers still waiting to find out how mobile operators will implement change.

Archaeologist pieces together early history of what is now western Slovakia Photo

For an archaeologist, the most important thing is his most recent rare discovery, says Július Vavák.

Students visited Svätý Jur as part of their European Wanderer project

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.

General Prosecutor filed a motion for the dissolution of ĽSNS

The Slovak Supreme Court received a motion to dissolve the extreme right ĽSNS party founded and led by Marian Kotleba.

Jaromír Čižnár