Information on the world wide web on Slovakia is growing with the times. The most immediate useful tool on the web for Slovakia is the up to date news given by almost all the Slovak dailies as well as news in English about current events. The Slovak and and Czech press agencies (TASR and ČTK) and the Prague-based Open Media Research Institute provide daily summaries of the news in English.
EU Net's most popular site is its news page which provides links to all the dailys. "Sme is the most popular site," said Ivan Leščák EU Net's technical director. "They were the first on the net and have recruited a bunch of loyal surfers."
Besides current events, the next best service the internet provides on Slovakia is travel information. EU Net's Slovakia Document Store links users to different regions in the country for useful travel and accomodation info. History and some beautiful pictures also greet the user.
Sites of interest
- A useful index of Slovak media including daily papers, TV listings, and radio. The best links for English readers are to TASR, ČTK, OMRI, and CEO, all of which provide daily summaries of Slovak news.
- Links to excellent travel information, especially transportation by plane or train in and out of Slovakia. Also leads to city and town pages, giving a brief guide to the region and some nice pictures. Some of the information is two years old.
- A list of Slovak companies that have chosen to be present on the internet. Right now the site is thin, but the companiy information that is given is thorough and marketed well.
- Allows a search for key words or names that have been in the news of that day. Useful for tracking specific information on a company or event.
23. Oct 1996 at 0:00 | Daniel J. Stoll