TRENČÍN'S skyline before it was dramatically altered when part of the castle wall collapsed.
photo: File photo
The castle, which was originally built in 1111, expanded during the 16th and 17th centuries, but then burnt down in 1790. Since 1948 it has been reconstructed and has become the main attraction in the town.
A carving in the massive rock it sits on is the oldest written evidence of Roman troops on Slovak territory and their most northern landmark in central Europe.
It can be reached by a steep staircase, the Farské schody, which was built in 1568 and leads from the town centre.
In the beginning of March, part of its medieval fortification fell down, and the castle had to be closed to the public. The first week of July the castle reopened and, according to the castle's director, Katarína Babičová, four months were enough to make the castle safe again.
The City of Fashion, as Trenčín is referred to thanks to its clothing factories and fashion high schools, also offers great hiking opportunities in the woods around the town. A striking monument to the victims of the Nazis can be found in the woods behind the castle. The monument depicts a man with his head forced underwater at gunpoint.
Architecturally, the center of Trenčín is home to a mixture of restored historical buildings and modern, glass-steel constructions. The main square, Mierové námestie, holds live events over the summer on the stage facing the Lower Gate, also known as the Turkish Gate, with a clock tower from the 15th century. The city is also known to beer lovers for its annual Kukanova desina, a public beer march held first Saturday after June 1.
7. Jul 2003 at 0:00