Prosecution in phone bugging scandal shelved

A military prosecutor has shelved the case of the tapped phone of the New Citizen's Alliance (ANO) party boss Pavol Rusko on July 9. No concrete persons have been charged.

"They had no evidence for bringing charges against anyone," Prosecutor General Milan Hanzel told the daily Narodna obroda. Five Slovak Intelligence Service agents had been suspected of illegally tapping Rusko's phone calls. Hanzel says the suspicion has not been dispersed yet and that he is ready to bring new charges against them as soon as new information surfaces.

Rusko suggested that his earlier assumptions that the case would never be investigated were right. He implied that people in important positions do not want to have the investigation completed.

The phone bugging scandal surfaced last December after Rusko's tapped call was found in the Interior Ministry's electronic phone surveillance system. The ministry denied ordering the tapping.

Compiled by Beáta Balogová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

More tips for outings in Bratislava during the lockdown

Walks along the Danube bank offer a feeling of being far from the city rush.

This place, part of Ovsištské Lúky (Ovsište Meadows) in Petržalka, is still Bratislava.

Roundup: Fairytale app that makes children read

An award-winning design by a Slovak architect and a trip to Zádielska dolina valley. Here’s your latest roundup.

A man wearing a face covering sits in an armchair on the snow-covered Main Street in Košice on January 13, 2021.

News digest: Minister adjusts vaccine expectations, mass testing decision still in the balance

Police investigate reported surveillance of journalist. Wolf will be protected all year long.

Mass testing for the coronavirus in the Nitra Synagogue.