Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Reader feedback: English a neocolonial tool

Re: Use Esperanto, people!, Reader feedback, May 24 - 30, Vol 10, No 20

The interethnic use of English is neither fair nor democratic, and gives a huge unearned advantage to one group:

Why should the 8 percent native-speakers of English in the world be so privileged as to dictate that the other 92 percent of the world use their language?

If you think that the present hegemony of English in the world is not an officially sanctioned US and UK neocolonial policy, then read for example Robert Phillipson’s International Languages and International Human Rights or something by Tove Skutnab Kangas.

How many hours does it take to become proficient in English? You can achieve the same level in Esperanto in one-fifth to one-tenth of that time - is this not more cost effective and rational?

For those who refuse even to investigate Esperanto, are you aware that Radio Polonia and China Radio International already broadcast daily in Esperanto and that Vatican Radio also does so thrice weekly? Even the Pope now uses it in his urbi et orbi blessings.

Why must the newly accepted states of the EU communicate with Brussels in English?

Shouldn’t they have the same rights as everybody else to use their own languages? Equal language rights for all are better attainable by using the non-ethnic, common second language Esperanto, rather than being a fifth column for McEnglish.

Brian,
Vancouver, Canada

Top stories

Roma segregation - Slovakia’s evergreen problem

Amnesty International slams Slovakia for discriminating against minorities and for hate speech in its annual report.

JLR plant, cheap mortgages alter market

In the sector of industrial real estate attention is focused on Nitra and its vicinity, where Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is building a new plant.

Slovak drama of the early 20th century goes English

Visual art, dance and music are universal means of expression; drama, on the other hand, is determined and limited by the language it is performed in. To offer the world at least a taste of Slovak drama, the Theatre…

L-R: Diana Mórová (Eva), Kamila Magálová (Matka), Ján Koleník (Bača Ondrej) in Ivan Stodola's play Shpeherd's Wife in the Slovak National Theatre

North-south gas interconnection moves closer

Slovak gas projects will receive finances from the European Union.

The gas pipeline operator Eustream is the biggest taxpayer in Slovakia.