Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Economy ministry pushes for transport of Caspian oil

SLOVAKIA's oil-pipeline operator, Transpetrol, is likely to make a one-off transport of oil from the Caspian Sea to the Czech Republic's Unipetrol company, Economy Minister Pavol Rusko confirmed on June 24.

The Economy Ministry owns 51 percent of Transpetrol, while Yukos, a Russian oil company, owns the remaining 49 percent and management rights, the news wire TASR wrote.

Rusko met Transpetrol management earlier on June 24 to discuss Yukos' objections to the transport of oil from the Caspian Sea through Ukraine.

Before the Unipetrol deal is concluded, an agreement must still be reached with Russian and Ukrainian pipeline operators Transneft and Ukrtransneft.

The transport would pass though Transneft's Druzba pipeline and Ukrtransneft's Odessa Brody pipeline.

Rusko said that Transpetrol would expand its pipeline operation if it found a long-term and reliable customer for Caspian crude. He said it was important for Slovakia to have a diversified source of oil supplies.

Up to now, Slovakia has relied on Russia for oil, but it is now looking to the area of the Caspian Sea. "It is our priority that this oil gets through to Europe. Transpetrol is a company based in Slovakia and we want it to respect Slovakia's interests. These include reviving the Odessa Brody pipeline," said Rusko.

The scale of the required investment is to be assessed by an independent German company.

"Such a move requires an investment with long-term returns. Diversification has its own price and will have to be paid for," Rusko added.

The minister expects to visit Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, soon to discuss the transport of Caspian oil.

Compiled by Beata Balogová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

General Prosecutor filed a motion for the dissolution of ĽSNS

The Slovak Supreme Court received a motion to dissolve the extreme right ĽSNS party founded and led by Marian Kotleba.

Jaromír Čižnár

Russian spies allegedly recruit also Slovaks

They are using martial art clubs in Germany and dozens more in other EU states, in the Western Balkans, and in North America.

Illustrative stock photo

EC scrutinises state aid for Jaguar Photo

There is a question whether the scrutiny may impact the carmaker’s plans to invest in Slovakia.

The construction site of a brand new plant of Jaguar Land Rover near Nitra.

GLOBSEC forum will host guests from 70 countries

The 12th year of the conference will be attended by the highest number of participants in its history.

Slovak President Andrej Kiska gives the opening speech of The Globsec 2016 security conference.