THE WESTERN Slovak village featured on this 1920s postcard goes by the unusual name of Kuchyňa (Kitchen). This may suggest an entirely spotless image, but Kuchyňa is no stranger to tragedy.
On September 20, 1944, an allied bombing campaign targetted the village's nearby airport, killing several Kuchyňa citizens. The village church, pictured to the right, also has a rather grim story to tell. Workers who were digging up stones in the church grounds came across a stone slab splashed with blood, and which also bore the trace of a footstep, claimed to be that of Christ.
4. Oct 2004 at 0:00 | Zuzana Habšudová