The buyout of land for the Hyundai/Kia carmaker should be concluded by the end of this year, according to Slovak Economy Minister Pavol Rusko.
Rusko added that the purchase of land from owners who did not want to sell their plots for the price set by an expert opinion is going ahead, the SITA news wire wrote.
"The owners with whom we did not come to an agreement, have just received
the first letters that will start the expropriation process," said Rusko.
According to Rusko, chairman of the petition committee Dušan Mikulík made up
the story of a private firm, which was supposed to have been offering to buy the land
from the owners at Sk350 (€8.75) per square meter.
"He wanted to discourage the people who had already agreed to sell their plots for the price set by the expert opinion," said Rusko.
In the last two months, there was never any danger that the Hyundai/Kia carmaker would decide to leave Slovakia, according to the minister.
The mayor of Žilina Jan Slota officially started construction of the Hyundai/Kia car plant on October 15. Municipal authorities granted partial construction permission October 14.
Compiled by Beata Balogová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
19. Oct 2004 at 11:14