After Záhorie had been the target of attack for a few hundred years, the village of Jablonové (Appleville) was founded. In an attempt to hinder the attacks the people planted thick apple orchards. Many dramatic battles took place here.
In 1814, the village church, seen here in a picture from the 1920s, was witness to a different sort of drama. A statue of St John fell on the priest's head during a Sunday service. The clergyman survived, but the congregation ran out of the church in panic.
This event did little to help the village folk's reputation as tough border guards.
By Branislav Chovan, Special to the Spectator
24. Jan 2005 at 0:00