Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

ANO initiates law on Church Property

THE RULING liberal New Citizen's Alliance (ANO) will prepare a law stipulating that registered Churches in Slovakia will be entitled to receive state funding only if they list and publish a record of property they own.

The initiative comes shortly after the Churches refused to do so voluntarily following ANO's appeal to the clerics.

According to the SME daily, the state spends around Sk2 billion (€5.27 million) per year on the Churches. The fate of the law is unclear, however.

With its ruling partners cautious or openly opposed to the law, ANO hopes that the opposition Slovak Communist party and the left-wing Smer party will back the law.

Smer's Dušan Čaplovič said that it would be better to come to an agreement with the Churches rather than enforce the obligation on them by law.

Compiled by Martina Jurinová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

How did Communism happen in Czechoslovakia?

For the 40 years, Czechs and Slovaks would celebrate February 25 as Victorious February, even though the enthusiasm of most of those who supported Communists in 1948 would very quickly evaporate.

Prime Minister Klement Gottwald (right) swears an oath into the hands of President Edvard Benes on February 27, 1948 at the Prague Castle.

Cemetery with a remarkable creative concept Photo

The shapes of tombstones were prescribed until 1997

Vrakuňa Cemetery in Bratislava

Being young is harder than it used to be

The failure of older generations to sympathise with youth means politics are primarily a contest of who can hand out more gifts to old people.

Young Slovaks have problems finding proper jobs.

Historian: After 1948, Czechoslovakia was paralysed with fear

On February 25, Czechs and Slovaks mark 70 years since the rise of Communism in their common state. Historian Jan Pešek talks about the coup and its aftermath.

Demonstration in Prague, Wenceslas' Square, on February 28, 1948.