Click to enlarge.
As we can see in this picture from 1932, Rožňava is no exception. The town's borders are only a few metres from its huge medieval square, the largest of its kind in Slovakia.
At the edge of the town the vast fields spread out across the horizon. Over 700 years old, this mining town was known for its gold, silver, copper and iron mines.
Its historical centre is home to several splendid burgher houses.
By Branislav Chovan,
Special to the Spectator
18. Apr 2005 at 0:00