POLICE arrested Róbert N., one of the two alleged murderers of Jozef Estók and Roman Straka who were killed last week in Košice, the SME daily reported.
Estók, who is believed to have been involved in the local underworld, was buried on Saturday April 30 at the
second attempt, after police prevented the burial originally planned for April 28.
Straka was killed accidentally in the shootout, an innocent victim in what is believed to have been an underworld killing.
Róbert N. and Jozef L. are accused of having committed the murders. Police are still searching for Jozef L.
Interior Minister Vladimír Palko strongly criticized the Slovak media over how they covered the April 28 police action.
Several media outlets painted the action as inappropriate. Košice police gathered at full strength at the planned burial site, with an armoured vehicle and prevented Estók’s burial.
Palko said that the mafia use such occasions to publicise themselves.
"They come out into God's light, show off in their outfits in front of the cameras and microphones, threaten decent people, demonstrate their power and speak of human rights. In the evening they watch the news on TV, and read the newspapers on how the media criticizes the police, and their confidence rises," said Palko.
According to Palko, the police need the support of the public in its fight against crime.
"Those various pseudo-intellectuals who meditate on human rights are totally removed from real life," said the minister.
However, even Prime Minister Mikuláš Dzurinda plans to ask Palko about the police action on April 28, stating that there are "certain doubts over the legality or the suitability of the action".
Compiled by Martina Jurinová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
2. May 2005 at 10:49