Click to enlarge.
The church in this picture is only one of many supporting the claim. In 1635, Archbishop Peter Pázmány founded a Catholic university in Trnava, and a renowned letterpress printing machine operated there from 1644. In 1777 the university moved to Budín (Buda) and the buildings were used by the military.
The church itself was built primarily thanks to the generosity of Palatine Mikuláš (Miklós) Esterházy. Other members of this well-known Hungarian lineage are also connected with this building. Its crypt holds the bodies of three Esterházys, who fell in the Battle of Vozokany against the Turks.
The picture from the 1920s shows us the impression of Czech painter A Krátký of the entire Invalides complex.
20. Jun 2005 at 0:00 | Branislav Chovan