Click to enlarge.
During the war against Turkish invaders, Košice became a fortification that served as refuge to Hungarian nobility from all around the river Tisa.
The state theatre, built in a classical style at the end of the 19th century, dominates the shot. The two-tower university church on the right side, in existence since 1671, was originally a bit higher, but was shortened after a storm destroyed it in 1875.
Of all Slovak towns, Košice has the largest number of preserved sights, and is definitely worth a visit.
Prepared by Branislav Chovan
24. Oct 2005 at 0:00