Kašický formally resigns, Baška appointed new Defense Minister

On January 30, President Ivan Gašparovič accepted resignation documents submitted to him the day before by Defence Minister František Kašický (Smer-SD). He also accepted Prime Minister Robert Fico's proposal to appoint State Secretary of the Defence Ministry Jaroslav Baška as the new Defence Minister. The proposal to dismiss Baška as State Secretary in preparation for this move was approved by the Government during an extraordinary session earlier on that day.

On January 30, President Ivan Gašparovič accepted resignation documents submitted to him the day before by Defence Minister František Kašický (Smer-SD). He also accepted Prime Minister Robert Fico's proposal to appoint State Secretary of the Defence Ministry Jaroslav Baška as the new Defence Minister. The proposal to dismiss Baška as State Secretary in preparation for this move was approved by the Government during an extraordinary session earlier on that day.

Kašický handed in his resignation to Fico on Friday, January 25. The now former defence minister decided to step down over overpriced tenders amounting to Sk3.9 billion (€115 million) for cleaning and grounds maintenance work at his ministry. In the parliamentary elections of 2002, Baška ran for the Smer-SD party, and was a member of the Slovak Parliament's Permanent Mission to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). He was also elected to Parliament in the 2006 elections, but gave up his mandate in order to take up the post of Defence Ministry State Secretary. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak